My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am brand new here and need your help with a Kohler engine stalling problem. I have a John Deere LX255 with 15.5hp Kohler single cyl. engine. I had the coil replaced two years ago that was confirmed bad and repaired at a huge cost by a local large JD dealership. About a year or so ago I began noticing that when running the tractor at above idle speeds (spreading fertilizer, pulling lawn cart, aerator, etc), the tractor will sputter and sometime stall out after a while...sounding like it is starving for gas? I replaced the fuel filter...but the problem still shows. Note: When cutting grass or blowing snow (running engine at full rpm), I never notice any problems! Only at low "putin around" speed do I experience this. Could it be a fuel pump issue? I doubt it is coil as it is brand new and the engine would instantly die I'd think if it were electrical...but I am by no means a pro at engine repair! Any help or advice would be worth a ton to me. Thanks! -Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to see you here Kevin. are you sure its not getting too much gas? sounds like when you are running at slower RPMs thats its getting more than can use I would check the float hight and if you have one try closeing off the gas shut off valve part way to limit flow also when sputtering what does the exhust look like ? Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Ed. Nothing unusual at all about exhaust...no puffing, no smoke, etc. It just has me stumped that at windout rpm it runs like a top, and at just above idle I have trouble...but only after 15-20min. of running like that. Its a mystery to me I guess. I just dread bringing it in because I know some textbook tech will only make guesses since it doesn't happen at start-up and the way they seem to work is, "let's start replacing everything...something is bound to work?" mentality! I'd like to try any idea myself...just need some ideas from pros like you I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
have you tried running at half throttle with the choke out? if its getting too much gas it should flood out , have you checked the govenor ? I had one do this that I recall was when i replaced the fuel line it was hitting the gov arm and stopping it from working properly ED

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
... It just has me stumped that at windout rpm it runs like a top, and at just above idle I have trouble...but only after 15-20min. of running like that....
Wonder if maybe you could have something similar to a vapor lock issue going on from heat buildup. But at full rpm the cooling fan and fuel pump are able to overcome it.

Just to toss out another idea.. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts