My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Craftsman pro has a Kohler 24hp motor on in it and still has less than 100 hours on it. This morning everything was fine as I went about mowing our lawn, but half-way through I ran out of gas. When I got back from the gas station I put in a gallon of fuel, but the engine wouldn't start - it would either just click, or do what sounded like a single cycle before stopping again. It can't be the battery, as I just put in a new one last time I mowed. I pumped the accelerator a few times, thinking that perhaps the engine running out of fuel had choked the line with air, but still nothing happened. Then I noticed that the small digital read out was telling me to clean the air filter - when I pulled it off it was soaked with gas, and the carb was like a swimming pool. On top of that, the small nozzle there periodically kept spitting out more gas - I think half the fuel I had just put in ended up on the driveway.

My first thought was that maybe I'd cracked the engine, but after reading around on the net I saw that other people have had similar issues that revolved around the carburetor, not the engine. Is this an easy fix, or do I need to take the mower repair facility?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds to me like the float valve is stuck open due to debris or something else. you will need to remove the carb and install a new needle. replace the air filter and change the oil and oil filter because most likely there is now gas in the crankcase oil.
Or if you don't feel up to the task buy a new Carb. I would also advise you check the gas tank for debris and replace the fuel lines as they may be deteriorating internally and that's what might be holding the needle open.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts