My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a puzzling problem with my 1994 Kohler CV22-S67515 Command engine.:help::dunno: It doesn't burn oil or excessive amounts of gas.

Here is a run down of the problem.

Starts up fine and runs forever if the weather is below 80 degrees F. Anything above 80 F and the mower will run, with the hood off, for about 30 minutes then die suddenly and not backfire.

After an hour or so of cooling off it will run for another 30 mins or so and quite again. Will not restart until it cools off.

I changed the ignition modules, it has two, rectifier/regulator, changed the plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, cleaned the fuel solenoid and it is working fine. Changed the blades and made sure no wire anywhere is frayed or broken. Also made sure all connectors are tight and not broken or loose.

I think it might be either the speed adjustment module, SAM, or the stator.
Don't think it is the stator because it charges the battery and lights only, right? But it has a diode on the end to keep the charge going one way. Also, the battery stays charged. The last walmart battery lasted 6 years.

The SAM has brown and yellow wires that hook up to both the ignition modules. Maybe the SAM is overheating when the outside temp is over 80F.

I have downloaded the service manual. It says use a SAM tester for the SAM but no one around here has one. Can you check it with a multimeter? If so how?

This problem has been going on for about 5 years and I have not found a solution yet. The mower is almost 20 years old and don't want to put a lot of money in it as I can buy a new one for around $1800.00. However, it still runs fine when it is cool and cuts like a champ.

Maybe the mower is telling me to cut the grass when it is cool outside and not hot. It has more sense than I do I guess.

Thanks for any help.:^:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Basic question first, when it quits running did you check for spark at the plugs right away to know that it is an electrical issue?

Outside of the box issues,
Clogged vented fuel cap?
Valves out of adjustment?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked for spark at the plug when it died. I got over 200vdc. I then pulled the spark plugs and they showed good spark as well. I then put fuel in the cylinders, reinserted the plugs, and still no start.

I then pulled the fuel solenoid out and the bowl was fuel of fuel and the solenoid was functioning fine.

I then inserted a paperclip in the seat safety switch and still nothing. I then pushed and pulled the PTO plug several times to insure it wasn't shortening out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the service manual and it doesn't say anything about adjusting the valves. Do you have a link or instructions on how to do it?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:sorry:Sorry to confuse you! I just remembered that Kohler twins like that one usually have hydraulic lifters, which would rule out the valves being out of adjustment. That's also why the manual didn't mention it!:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Correct MH. ;) There could be excessive wear in the guides, springs or gunked up valves & seats. Would be a good time to de-carbon the head too.
(If the problem lies here)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final follow up. I finally talked to a mechanic at KohlerEngines and said do a spark jump gap test.
Well after all the testing and researching and cussing, I finally broke down a bought a new Spark Advance Module.
Now the mower starts up on the second crank and runs like a cheetah.
So if you have this problem and can't figure it out the SAM maybe the problem.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found! I'm sure that will save more then one person a lot of time and money. :gp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts