My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was moving and heard a tone change then a knock. I shut her down and looked everything over. The oil was low but not empty. I topped it off and started it up. Now there is a knock. I parked it and pulled the motor apart. It looks like there is a counterweight attached to the crankshaft and it seems to have a bit of play.

:help: Please tell me if it is fixable or worth the effort. :help:

I don't have much experience on engines. I've rebuild a couple of 5 HP Briggs in my youth.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry my friend, it is definitely not worth fixing! This is a common issue with the Kohler Courage. I have had two of them no good, broken blocks. Bet if you look, you will find a crack and a oil leak! Google Courage engine or Youtube and you will find a lot on them. Good luck and God Bless!
Eric

Reactions: KenCam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I figured as much. Well 4 years out of a $1500 mower. I think a service would be cheaper.

What really upsets me is that this mower replaced a 20 year old Murray with a Briggs that was totally abused. I don't think the guy I bought it from ever even looked at the engine. I'm sure that engine is still running. Where ever it is.

I buy a nice new mower and baby it. Then this happens.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:sorry:I agree with Eric that it's not worth fixing. A lot of people have had similar internal failure problems with Kohler Courage engines. It was an attempt to produce a lower cost engine for homeowner use, but they cheapened the design, especially the block casting, too much, and it has a bad reputation for throwing rods and the like. Since the mower isn't very old, you could replace the engine with a Kohler Command or a Kawasaki, which are both good engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at old posts and a different forum and they were talking about removing the counter balance from a 12 HP Kohler. He said there wasn't much shake except at idol.

What do you think?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The 12 HP Kohler Command has a separate balancer shaft that operates off the side of the crankshaft, much like a camshaft in a smaller engine. It's a completely different design. I might be leary of buying used internal engine parts off of ebay, but it's up to your judgment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts