My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I am having an issue with trying to get a Kohler Courage 19 to start and was wondering if any of you out there can possibly point me in the right direction?

The battery is new and fully charged, and the carb was just cleaned and rebuilt.

Took the cover off, and the valve on the left was flopping around in the breeze.
Unfortunately, after adjusting it to specs (.005), and trying to start it...it is still trying to start the same way (no change)

Please see the video below to see my issue and note that the key was being held in the start position during the course of the video..

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
There's definitely something going on with your valves, as evidenced by the loose rocker arm on the exhaust valve and the excessive compression. The rocker arm might not be doing its job of opening the valve, causing the compression to build up. There might be something wrong with the camshaft for that side (It's a twin cam engine). I would start by pulling the valve cover again and turning the engine by hand to see if the valve is opening and closing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's definitely something going on with your valves, as evidenced by the loose rocker arm on the exhaust valve and the excessive compression. The rocker arm might not be doing its job of opening the valve, causing the compression to build up. There might be something wrong with the camshaft for that side (It's a twin cam engine). I would start by pulling the valve cover again and turning the engine by hand to see if the valve is opening and closing.
Thank you...I will recheck that. I know that the pushrod was coming up and pushing the valve down...but I did notice that it wasn't moving as much as the one on the right.

If it is not opening and closing like it should, what would my next step be?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
If it is not opening and closing like it should, what would my next step be?
I agree with motorhead in regards to valve timing problems.

IMO, I would pull the rocker and see if you intake and exhaust push rods are 'true'. Only takes a slight bend to mess up one's timing (and their mind). If that isn't the case then I would expect a flat lobe on your camshaft.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'm with Mark on checking the pushrods. A bent one would not only change the timing, but might have caused the floppiness of the rocker arm. I believe that the Courage has a plastic cam, and that would make it more likely to be flattened.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its definitely either a bent pushrod or a flattened cam lobe. The camshafts in a Courage are a nylon composite material, so, its possible to be worn down if the engine has a lot of hours on it. Could also be a broken compression release mechanism and the loose valve just happened over time. The good thing is that the Courage is completely serviceable on the tractor. If you know what you're doing, remove everything from the top, remove the flywheel and the bolts holding the top engine case cover thing on. Boom, access to the internals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts