My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 toro mower with kohler ch22s is missing., only running on 1 cylinder. Replaced plugs, no diff. Took compressin test, both cylinders 150-155. when engine gets hot, will not restart, have to wait for it to cool down.Drained gas tank, blew it out, new gas and filter. checked spark while trying to restart, gett ing spark. After restart wont take a load on engine, starts running on one cylinder than stalls out. Could ign. mod. be breaking down after engie gets hot? Welcome any and all input. Thanks Geppsr.

·
Registered
507 Posts
2002 Kohler...does it have hydraulic lifters?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Duh! My bad! :sorry: OK, so it's probably not the valve clearance. Your engine has two ignition modules, so it's possible that one is defective, and quits working once it heats up. Unfortunately, the only way to test that it to buy a new module and see if it fixes your problem. It might also be a fuel delivery problem, but it sure sounds like an ignition module issue.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You shouldn't have to pull the engine. You'll have to take the top shroud off, and some other things may need to come off depending on your engine configuration.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kohlers are fun...

Basically what you have to do is pull the blower housing. On a Briggs and Stratton it's easy. On a Kohler, you have to unhook everything bolted to the shroud, pull the breather out of the valve cover, pull off the regulator/rectifier(don't disconnect the wires), and the grass screen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
it could possably be one of two reasons. one valve adj second foreign object ingested into cyl and got btwn. valve crown and cyl head.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check the lifters, make sure they have a little give to them and aren't seized.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
found out didnt do 500 hr. valve lash adj. whoops gonna be an expensive lesson. Thanks to all of you for for the info. Geppsr Ps best site on the internet for info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kohler ch22

How can i test hydr. lifters to make sure they are good before going to all the trouble to put everytrhing together again. Motorhead im former long islander.Thanks Gepp

·
Registered
507 Posts
Use the pushrod or something else to seat in the cupped end of the lifter and push down, let off, do that multiple times. If it seems really stiff, it's probably bad. I've gotten stuck lifters un-stuck before but I wouldn't trust it. The center section of the lifter should compress slightly.

Reactions: geppsr

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can anyone please tell me where i can purchase a toro SHOP REPAIR Manual, not a service manual. Thanks, gepp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts