My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
In order to avoid issues associated with deer you should be careful with a lot many matters including your landscaping, fencing and such. The major problem with deer is the danger of deer ticks which are recognized to be responsible for Lyme disease. There are many usual methods adopted by home owners to keep deer away such as deer proof plants, deer repellents, deer fencing, noise makers and other gadgets such as the Scarecrow Sprinkler. All these methods are successfully used by many people to get rid of deer. If you are looking for a new property to buy, you should surely get a property inspection done by expert property inspectors and should get an overall idea about the surroundings of the property as well. If the particular area is prone to deer or such animal invade, you should take proper precautions before hand so that you could avoid any issues that may come up in the future. During several property inspections building inspection experts have recognized the possibility of deer attacks in the area and thus they advise their clients with apt control measures they should adopt.

Many people may say that they are fond of wild life and they do not need to take any defense measures such as fencing or anything of that sort so that they could enjoy the sight of deer coming in and out of their garden. But there is a danger in it which they should be properly aware of that deer can carry deer sticks which cause Lyme disease and even if one is attacked by a deer stick, he cannot easily identify it. Therefore it is important that they take actions at the right time; otherwise they will have to pay in the future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Brad, you still have some editing to do. Deer STICKS? FONT of wild life?

I've heard that deer love to eat roses, but they hate yellow flowers for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a deer problem with my vegetable garden, first I tried most of what you mentioned and a few more like strong soap. They all will work for awhile until the deer get used to it. I then went with an electric fence and like the others worked for a while they just learned to jump over it. The dnr told me that they would only jump 6 feet so I made the fence 8 feet high like I said they just learned to jump a little higher. So I finally called the DNR and told them to keep the states deer out of my yard, well you can guess what they told me. I put a light out and started counting how many we had every night for about a week we never saw more than 3. Well I got 2 the first night and the other one 3 night later end of problem and a lot of good eating to boot. Problem solved.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Living just inside the city limits on 1/3 acre I'm having to make do with an electric fence around the garden. So far they have not jumped it at 3' high. (I did watch one jump over my split rail fence one night like there was nothing to it.) I guess rather then expend the energy they just move on to my flower beds, bird feeder and drink the bird bath dry instead. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts