My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys first post on here. but i have a kawasaki vtwin specifically a fh500v 17hp and its not really a mower for grass mainly for a mud mower and it started to have a bad oil leak so i tore it down to just clean it up and took the pistons out well me being stupid left out and forgot to oil the cylinders up and so they rusted not bad just surface rust so i cleaned it up a little bit enough were it was smooth with out taking any metal off and so i got it back together and when i turn it over with a rachet (i dont have the starter) and it sound like air is seeping past the piston rings into the crankcase and i can here it through the oil filter holes but it still feels like its got strong compression so i thought its just the rings havent seated just yet still need to get worked in but afraid that any remaing rust will scratch away the rings and ruin them so mabye i can lube it up and pray but any help would be great! -darin

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome! Bet if you oil cylinders up before first fire it will be fine. You might have blown head gasket too with air leak into sump?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brand new head gaskets and torque properly so no worrys there lol but i putsome thin motor oil to penetrate and then some thicker oil it helped a little but still not normal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i put the oil in the spark plug hole but ounce im ready and before i put the oil in the actual block i will put it were the spark plug holes are facing down and have the starter in ill turn it over and blow the oil out just adding that along too

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
That sound could just be the noise of pressure changes in the crankcase as the pistons move and alter the volume in the sump.

What did you use to clean the cylinders?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but it might be that and or just over reacting but ive had the engine and mower for a while and actualy pretty attached to it because it was my grannys lol but ever sense it started leaking oil and waited to save up for full gasket rebuild kit and saying every week "man i wish mower rannnn :( "and now that i got it put back together and heard this sound i was just like omggg areyou serious lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
motorhead12 yes i did theres was little notch in the slots were the rings go im assuming ifvthats what you mean if im wrong sorry im not a newb just still getting to all of small little things like gaps and degrees of engines and what not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts