My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 1997 John Deere 345 with a Kawasaki FD590v which was run out of oil and ruined the.crankshaft , upper bearing and seal. I replaced the crankshaft with a good used one. I put in a new upper bearing and both shaft seals. The seal surfaces of the shaft look perfect. It pumps oil out of the upper seal rapidly. I even enlarged the oil return hole and put in another new seal. It still pumps oil out.I have checked the pcv system and it seems to be working perfectly. I wondered about high crankcase pressure, but it checks out at -2" wc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

vehc9291

·
Registered
313 Posts
All the way is kind of subjective,
Most seals should be flush, sometimes about 1/16" of an inch recessed into the case. Some engines use a small ridge that the seal butts up against to stop it though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update and correction. The bottom seal is leaking too. Oil pressure is 45 psi. I checked one I mowed with today and it was 60 psi at full throttle. Both engines show a crankcase pressure of -2" wc at full throttle, so it looks like the breather is working the same on both engines. The one I mowed with has never leaked any oil. If you blow into the breather tube with the oil fill cap on tight there are no leaks. If you suck on it with the cap off, the oil gurgles. If you blow into the tube with the cap off, you blow oil out of the fill hole. The reason the check valves are not airtight is that there is a small notch in the sealing surface of the raised portion of the one hole that looks like it is the way it was made. The spring steel tabs look and feel fine. I won't tear a good running engine apart to see if the notch is correct. I would assume that if it were not for the notch, the valves would seal. I don't know the purpose of the notch. This engine ran fine for more than 1400 hours. The one I mowed with is fine with almost 1800 hours. Any ideas will be appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts