My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of days ago, the temperature was mild (for Northern Illinois) and I got the urge to finish up outside. Mowed and ground the leaves, picked up sticks and such. Then to finish out the day, I moved the snow blowers (only 5 this year - sold 1) to the garage and the lawn mowers to the shed. I think that is what cued the snow to come. Yesterday we got a dusting. I kind of like it, makes it feel more like the holidays when we have a light amount before Thanksgiving.
So, off to the snow blower forums.......
Happy holidays to all

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh - PS
I have a last minute thrash. The guy I sold a snow blower to, brought me his 2019 Troy Bilt Pony rider for a fall tuneup (to prep it for next year). I pulled the deck, fixed the bad rust (bottom side), sharpened blades, new D&D Kevlar belt, new blade engagement cable, oil change, air filter, plug. Got it all done and when the guy came to pick it up, he had an observation that the "steering wheel was loose"!(?). And of course it wasn't that way when he dropped it off. Buggers! So, it's still here. Researching it I find many of the MTD variants have this problem. The lower bushing (metalic - powdered metal maybe?) is assembled dry and wear out prematurely. The the added complication is the fastener on the under side of the chassis is a #3 Phillips head AND loc-tited in! Arrr! Stupid, stupid, stupid.
And, of course, the bane of any service person, it wasn't like that when it got here (supposedly) and I have to fix it (for free). It was also asserted that the steering shaft was connected to the mowing deck so I must of damaged it when I removed the deck. It makes you laugh and cry at the same time.
Oh well soldier on......

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Oh - PS
I have a last minute thrash. The guy I sold a snow blower to, brought me his 2019 Troy Bilt Pony rider for a fall tuneup (to prep it for next year). I pulled the deck, fixed the bad rust (bottom side), sharpened blades, new D&D Kevlar belt, new blade engagement cable, oil change, air filter, plug. Got it all done and when the guy came to pick it up, he had an observation that the "steering wheel was loose"!(?). And of course it wasn't that way when he dropped it off. Buggers! So, it's still here. Researching it I find many of the MTD variants have this problem. The lower bushing (metalic - powdered metal maybe?) is assembled dry and wear out prematurely. The the added complication is the fastener on the under side of the chassis is a #3 Phillips head AND loc-tited in! Arrr! Stupid, stupid, stupid.
And, of course, the bane of any service person, it wasn't like that when it got here (supposedly) and I have to fix it (for free). It was also asserted that the steering shaft was connected to the mowing deck so I must of damaged it when I removed the deck. It makes you laugh and cry at the same time.
Oh well soldier on......

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Yep, the steering on MTD tractors have plenty of play in them. I have a 2002 Yard Machines and like you have noted it takes a #3 phillips to get it out. I used my 18volt impact driver to get mine out. Besides that, there’s probably plenty of plastic bushings in the steering linkages that add to the play as they wear out.
Good luck with your work.

·
Registered
1953 Lawn Boy, 2008 Craftsman Pro, 1991 JD 260 GT
32 Posts
Couple of days ago, the temperature was mild (for Northern Illinois) and I got the urge to finish up outside. Mowed and ground the leaves, picked up sticks and such. Then to finish out the day, I moved the snow blowers (only 5 this year - sold 1) to the garage and the lawn mowers to the shed. I think that is what cued the snow to come. Yesterday we got a dusting. I kind of like it, makes it feel more like the holidays when we have a light amount before Thanksgiving.
Happy holidays to all
The last 2 years I've mowed in the beginning of November too. As you stated it's nice to chop up some leaves & cut any, remaining, tall grass down that has grown up. I'm in south central MO & we got the snow here too late last night. about 1.5-2.0 inches. We don't get too much snow in November so it's kind of interesting. We will start to head towards TX in the beginning of Dec. for the winter. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happy holidays to all
You know you can't fix stupid. I studied auto mechanics as a high schooler and worked with lawn equipment and did most of my vehicle maintenance for years. Years ago as I was headed into the local Auto Zone I saw a guy with his hood up putting oil in his Saturn. Three of my daughters owned them at one time and I had Haynes manuals on them and kept an eye on them for the girls. As I approached the car I noticed the underside of the hood and the engine was covered in oil. I ask what seems to be the problem. His answer was, I can't keep oil in this engine it keeps spraying out. I said what is the oil level now. He pulled the dipstick and reinserted it and pulled it again. The oil was almost at the top of the dipstick. I said, man, I have no idea and turned and walked away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know you can't fix stupid. I studied auto mechanics as a high schooler and worked with lawn equipment and did most of my vehicle maintenance for years. Years ago as I was headed into the local Auto Zone I saw a guy with his hood up putting oil in his Saturn. Three of my daughters owned them at one time and I had Haynes manuals on them and kept an eye on them for the girls. As I approached the car I noticed the underside of the hood and the engine was covered in oil. I ask what seems to be the problem. His answer was, I can't keep oil in this engine it keeps spraying out. I said what is the oil level now. He pulled the dipstick and reinserted it and pulled it again. The oil was almost at the top of the dipstick. I said, man, I have no idea and turned and walked away.
To me that wouldn't indicate someone is "Stupid". From the way your describing the "Oil all over" it appears as though this Saturn was time for a rebuild. It simply had some severe blow-by. Like you said... "I have no Idea" says that you didn't know what the problem was & that's ok but to say b/c the oil was "all the way up to the top of the dipstick" isn't the whole story you told. Just respectfully throwing in my peace. ☮

·
Registered
6 Posts
To me that wouldn't indicate someone is "Stupid". From the way your describing the "Oil all over" it appears as though this Saturn was time for a rebuild. It simply had some severe blow-by. Like you said... "I have no Idea" says that you didn't know what the problem was & that's ok but to say b/c the oil was "all the way up to the top of the dipstick" isn't the whole story you told. Just respectfully throwing in my peace. ☮
Perhaps stupid was a bit strong, should have said ignorance which I know can be fixed but not always as I have witnessed as a supervisor in charge of training new hires. Some people are capable of absorbing new information and some either dismiss it or just do not get it and others absorb it and put it to use. I may have judged him harshly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Perhaps stupid was a bit strong, should have said ignorance which I know can be fixed but not always as I have witnessed as a supervisor in charge of training new hires. Some people are capable of absorbing new information and some either dismiss it or just do not get it and others absorb it and put it to use. I may have judged him harshly.
We've all been there... I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed either :p
Some like myself need repetition for it to sink in. Patience is something we try to live up to but I seem to fail it often at times. My position is that I've tried to help others understand different positions or opinions. There may be 3 ways to get to the same destination but 3 different people claim theirs is the "correct" way ha ha. No worries... We're all in this together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can only begin to imagine what car mechanics are seeing coming into the shop these days. With a bulge of newbie Shadetree mechanics putting lots of effort into installing a state of the artAudio system into a 15-year-old car has got to be presenting a few nightmare scenarios. And I haven’t even mentioned the electrical and mechanical nightmares.😵‍💫. I have no idea what my next used car purchase will be, but I think I know it won’t be from an owner under the age of about 45.🙂

·
Registered
234 Posts
Every once in a while I get a mower that is full of oil to the top and I remind the owner that's it's 'fill the gas and check the oil', not the other way around. I then pull the dipstick and show them the top line. Some just don't know. They didn't have a grandfather like me who insisted I know what the heck is going on. I miss both my grandfathers. They survived the great depression as young family men, didn't mince words and had the truth in hand in spite of it being relative at times.

Last mower that was full of oil, you couldn't pull the starter cord. Pulled the plug and tried again and oil came flying out the plug hole. Hah! Dang oil just doesn't compress like air.

Learned in college that the main rule of instruction is this: If the presentation is consistent with more than one interpretation, some students will pick the wrong one. So make sure the presentation is consistent with your intent. People aren't dumb, they're just misinformed or not informed at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts