My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've ever spent a decent amount of time around Gravely walk behinds you know that because of the wide array of attachments they designed the machine with an open nose that if left open can let bad things in and the oil in the transmission out. Both of which is not good. So they designed a blank or nose cover for when your using the machine without a front mounted attachment like using the pull cart.
The Gravely design is simply thin sheet metal with a bolt in the middle to hold a key internal shaft in place and four holes to bolt it to the tractor with a gasket.
I've spent the bulk of my life in the nuclear industry and have grown accustomed to over kill. So I set off to make my own.
I took a piece of 1/4" plate I had on hand and a piece of 3/8" round rod and went to work.
I simply used a gasket to get the correct shape and bolt hole locations then before cutting it to shape I drew an X from corner to corner to locate the center.
Now as usual I'm working on this at work and we do not have much in the way of machine shop tooling. We do have a sawzall, bench grinder, assorted files and a drill press.
No problem, I'm all set. :2th:
Here are the results. The dimple in the middle will be where the round rod will be welded.

Welded up and ready for paint, speaking of which....this is the second time it was painted. The first it was done using ford red and I wasn't happy with it. I redid it with Chevy orange and the color was right on target.

Gravely uses a trade mark known as the four seasons which you will see and some will recognize. I first traced the cover on paper and located the center then set about making the four seasons trade mark.

I cut out the template and taped it to the cover then proceeded to cut out the smaller squares with a razor knife. This leaves fine lines in the base coat to follow when taping the cover off for the next color.

Some careful use of masking tape,

Paint, let dry and your done!

And the beauty shot. Mounted on my "63 L8.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's quite the upgrade! Very nicely done.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nice!! GREAT FAB!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's a handy piece, you should sell a line of them on E Pay. I have duct tape covering the openings on my "Static" pieces in the "One day soon" group. :D

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gents.
I want to make a few more for spares but other things keep getting in the way. I have considered making up some to sell but I don't really want to get involved with E Pay, just seems like it's too much of a pain. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot, I don't know.
I'd like to do one with this on the front but I haven't been able to locate any decals. My air brush skills are too rusty.

Five Points,
This is an old nuke saying taught to me by an old nuke.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape. :ROFL

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, on a lark I went to Gravelys face book page and asked if the image I posted above was ever made into a decal. Would you believe they are sending me one? :party
If it's not too big, or small for that matter I will be making another nose cover real soon! :2th: :p

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
So, on a lark I went to Gravelys face book page and asked if the image I posted above was ever made into a decal. Would you believe they are sending me one? :party
If it's not too big, or small for that matter I will be making another nose cover real soon! :2th: :p
Suh-weeet!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Wow , that looks really nice, great job!
:ditto: My thoughts exactly!!!
That came out great, Don :ThumbUp: Really like the paint job.

That's what I do. I make them out of steel and aluminum. They sell slow, but steady. I make 50 of each at a time.

Gravely PTO Cover Plate | eBay

Gravely L PTO Cover Plate Aluminum Made in The USA | eBay
As soon as I saw devans' first pic, I thought of your stuff, Ellis!

Thanks gents.
I want to make a few more for spares but other things keep getting in the way. .............

Five Points,
This is an old nuke saying taught to me by an old nuke.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape. :ROFL
That I have to remember! :sidelaugh

Good job on the fabrication :cool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts