My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this somewhere else but I don't know where. I'm totally lost in this group of forums.

I’m tearing my hair out....what little I have left. I’ve been working on and driving John Deere lawn tractors since JD has been making them but this little problem is driving me more crazy than I was before. My next door neighbor asked me to change the oil and filter on her JD x300. I changed the filter and added 1.8 Qt. oil but the dip stick shows little or no oil. If I screw it in before checking, it shows a little oil just at the Add mark. If I just set the dipstick on top without screwing it in (following the directions on the stick), it shows no oil at all. Yes, I did put in 1.8 QT. oil and there is none leaking out, and I ran the engine for a while and then let it set there for a few minutes before checking. So, do some of the x300‘s have the wrong dipstick or what? Give me a reason for this or visit me in the local asylum. Bill

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bill! We will certainly try to help you get it figured out.

I often find with machines that when I do an oil change and replace the filter as well that it sometimes requires you to add a bit more than what is called for. Perhaps they are taking into account the possibility of you adding oil to the filter when you install it.

If it were my machine, I would add a bit more until its registering in the correct range on the dipstick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Austen

Thanks, Austen, that sounds reasonable to me so I'll just do that. If the engine blows a seal from having too much oil, I'll just tell the lady the devil made me do it:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If the engine blows a seal from having too much oil, I'll just tell the lady the devil made me do it:)
:ROFL

Sounds good enough to me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Usually in the manual, it gives two different quanities, one with and one witout oil filter. Like Austen stated, just bring the oil level up to the the full line on the dipstick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks to Five Points

Thank you, Mr. Five Points. Thank you both, very much.....I"ll bring the oil level up to the Full mark on the oil stick. I've been running John Deere equipment for 60 years........never ran into this before. I thought perhaps, some of the X300s had the incorrect oil stick installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts