My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a John Deere L130 with the hydrastatic drive. I changed out the drive belt over the weekend. The previous belt had slipped up over the rear pulley and made a mess of the plastic fan tabs on top of the transaxle. As an act of desperation, I cut off the fan tabs to be below the bottom of the belt. After I put the new belt on and tightened everything up, I pulled it out of the garage and it started up fine. So far so good. I engaged the clutch peg on the left side, and all **** broke loose. It made all kinds of racket for about 3 or 4 minutes, the belt smoked for about 30 seconds, then it quieted down. I inspected the belt and something has interefered with the top edge of the belt, fraying it a little. I compared it with the original 10 year old belt, and it appeared to be the same issue. I was able to mow my yard with no more apparent belt dragging/interference issues. It just makes a chirping noise every once in a while.
Question 1: If one of the idler pulleys was starting to seize up, would it create this problem? The pulleys spun freely when I had them off the tractor.
Question 2: If it isn't one of the idler pulleys creating a problem, what else could be interfering with the top side of the belt?
Question 3: How important is it to have the plastic impeller on top of the transaxle, just below the bottom of the belt?
Question 4: Where is a good source to get complete instructions on replacing the impeller if it needs to be replaced.

I'm trying to do this on a shoe string budget. Otherwise, I would've coughed up the $250 to $400 to take it to someone that has the time to work on it.

Thanks in advance :help:,
Short_stuff

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum short-stuff!
Well you might have a bad idler pulley, best to try spinning while on tractor to really know. There could be a guide loose or not in proper alignment.
The fan is VERY important to the life of your transaxle!! You will need to fix this. You can get the cut sheet from JDparts.com.
Good luck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree , very important to have the fan in place...I would check all the pulleys real close also check above and below the belt for anything that might be touching or close to touching the belt..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Welcome, Ericjr16. When I get back up to the lake house next weekend, I'll disassemble the mower deck and loosen the belt back up to check the idler pulleys. The lawn tractor only has about 100 hours on it (bought in August, 2004), and it is garage-kept, but I am not religious about clearing the grass debris off of it unless I've mowed through a field of sugar maple balls. so, I guess its possible that something has wedged itself up close to the belt (or deflected off of one of the belt 'guards' around the pulleys). I'll wait to order the fan until I know for sure whether I need new pulleys or not, wh55. I also noted that the two idler pulleys have different shaft sizes, and it appeared that there was a top side and bottom side to each of the pulleys (that's the rocket scientist coming out of me
:) ).
I'll post again after the weekend of 02/21, when I've had a chance to dive in again.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Thanks for the Welcome, Ericjr16. When I get back up to the lake house next weekend, I'll disassemble the mower deck and loosen the belt back up to check the idler pulleys. The lawn tractor only has about 100 hours on it (bought in August, 2004), and it is garage-kept, but I am not religious about clearing the grass debris off of it unless I've mowed through a field of sugar maple balls. so, I guess its possible that something has wedged itself up close to the belt (or deflected off of one of the belt 'guards' around the pulleys). I'll wait to order the fan until I know for sure whether I need new pulleys or not, wh55. I also noted that the two idler pulleys have different shaft sizes, and it appeared that there was a top side and bottom side to each of the pulleys (that's the rocket scientist coming out of me
:) ).
I'll post again after the weekend of 02/21, when I've had a chance to dive in again.
Sounds like a good course of action. Keep us posted! :ThumbUp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts