My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on John Deere D100. Completed all maintenance, oil, air filter, and spark plug. Jumped it because the battery was dead and everything started, ran fine. Replaced the battery, new battery from Wal-Mart, now when I turn it on the headlights come on but the starter does not even click. Charged the new battery to make sure it was good. Have changed nothing else. Battery cables are very tight. How can I get this riding lawn mower started? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Let me make sure I'm understand you.... Now when you turn the key on. The headlights will come on. But the started won't engage. Is that right? That being the case let's go over some pre-start items:

To crank the engine the key switch must be in the START position, the brake must be ON and the PTO must be in the OFF (disengaged) position. The operator does not have to be on the seat to crank the engine with the brake on.

After trying this and you find it still won't crank there are some other things to check to see what's preventing the starter from engaging.

Check the main fuse. If you follow the small wire that is attached to the same terminal of the solenoid as the positive cable it will lead to a fuse. Make sure the fuse is not blown.

If that looks good then there is another 2 things to check. One being the seat switch. And the other being the brake switch.

I won't recommend unplugging or bypassing anything. Try what's listed first and we'll take it one step at a time.

Someone else went through this with a D110 4 years ago and it ended up being the PTO switch. If the lawnmower thinks that's engaged it will never start.

Good luck! :2th:

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Bryan is right, sounds like a issue with fuse or safety. Also solenoid may have died? Any wires left unhooked?

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D100 still not starting

Had neighbor checked the fuse, and solenoid everything was fine, still nothing. how do I check the brake switch? new to lawn mowers, appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Rather than trying to explain I found a video on one way to check your switches. This is a Sabre in the video but made by John Deere so somewhat like your model. Procedure still applies no matter the brand. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Had neighbor checked the fuse, and solenoid everything was fine, still nothing. how do I check the brake switch? new to lawn mowers, appreciate the help.[/QUOTE

Were you present when neighbor checked and verified the fuse and solenoid? You should have been able to learn the start system electrical...and perhaps see where to check next...! The brake safety switch is definitely a worthy candidate...your meter set to low ohms range should do it..
BTW...is the new battery connected pos to solenoid and neg to chassis ground?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts