My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mower owners,

I've got a John Deere GX345 with the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. I am the second owner of the machine and it has 470 hours on the meter. This is the second mowing season of ownership. The first season it ran great, no problems. This season though, I am experiencing consistant engine running problems. I mow with the machine for about 30 mins or so and like clockwork when the engine is warmed up sufficiently, it will loose power and die. I have learned that I can keep the engine running by applying the manual choke to it in varying degrees and it runs, but at reduced power of 50% on average. I have changed plugs, new fresh gas and air filter, the stuff of normal maintenance. I've had the unit to my local dealer and they changed some sort of a fuel pump part.

I've read other forum threads and have tried other fixes. Recently changed out the TDC or Time Delay Control module. Just got in a new Gas Cap for the fuel tank. Both didn't effect the engine at all. Still dies after it warms up and is put to thicker grass. I hate to take it back to the dealer for a big bill. I'm guessing this to be a carburation problem. I've got great spark at both plugs. Would a new carb do the job or could it be more serious? Other than this issue, the mower runs great. I have to mow an acre or so of grass each week so I need my mower back running in top shape. Any others out there who've experienced the same problems with their JD GX345 and got successful repairs, I welcome your feedback. Thanks................Mark H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Is there any unforseen hiccups I need to be aware of when changing out the carb? Do you have a resource for the carb or is my dealer or JD Parts.com the only option?

·
Registered
188 Posts
JD is your only purchase option and hold onto your heart when you see the prices. The Kawasaki engines used by JD have their own numbers system and cannot be looked up at a normal Kawasaki dealer. My fuel pump was leaking but it is a good thing to replace anyway because when it leaks the fuel drips on the muffler. The two parts were in the $250 area. Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 345 floods and stalls after about 15 minutes of use

What is causing the flooding? Any thoughts? At first I thought is was losing power and i tried to keep it going with the choke, but now I am sure it is flooding and stalling. I leave it set for 15 or 20 minutes and it runs great for another 15 or 20 minutes and floods/stalls again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Usually those kawasaki carbs are rebuildable> They wont have a kit, the parts are a la carte, so you just get the gaskets and the needle and replace those, and clean it out and hopefully that will get you going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a 318 JD with a 18hp Onan, similar complications impell me to reply. It turned out to be gunk that loaded up near the flywheel fins that ultimately effected the govenor. Half choke to run? you bet. Heated up? you bet. Engine pulseing? yup......... A cleaning fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Thanks for the reply. Is there any unforseen hiccups I need to be aware of when changing out the carb? Do you have a resource for the carb or is my dealer or JD Parts.com the only option?
I was wondering if the carb fixed the problem. I have a GX 345 as well and it's doing the same thing. It just turned over 939 hours. It'll run for 5-10 minutes, then gets warm and shuts off. I can keep it running by using the manual choke, but only for a little while. Any ideas anyone?

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Welcome Craig!

Just wanted to jump in here and mention to make sure the vent in the fuel cap is not plugged. Something easy to check before heading into the more complex stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts