My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Machine From Lowes March of 2012:

(Garage Kept, Used Clean Fuel, Etc... etc...)

Understandably this is a VERY RUDE awakening to the "Legendary" quality of John Deere. The Service center that fixed that machine under warranty Explicitly stated that "NO foreign objects or even residue build up were evident during the replacement of the Carburetor." The conclusion: Pure engineering/quality failure.

Take it for what its worth. I would be VERY hesitant to by a machine with this --->>>Engine on it

RETURNED WITH SERVICE TAG STILL ON

SIDE VIEW

THOUGHTS ANYONE???

·
Registered
188 Posts
John Deere dd not make the engine but they still fixed it for you. You should not be mad a JD but maybe Briggs who built the engine. All JD does is bolt it in the tractor. JD will charge Briggs for the repair. If you notice the better nicer JDs use Kawasakis but they cost a lot more. Your tractor was built to meet a price point and I feel you got good warranty service. I doubt you will have a problem again as most Briggs are good engines but anyone can have a bad one. If you really are mad take it up with Briggs and JD corporate. If this is a place for you to vent thats fine but it serves no real purpose other than to maybe make you feel better. Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that on the Engine Being a Briggs. I did realize that going into the purchase and didn't think twice about it cause I've had brigs in alot of my rigs. Yeah i'm venting and possibly seeing if other people have had problems with this 22 HP OHV model of briggs

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Welcome to MLMF 27johndeere. Sorry to hear that you've had less than favorable luck with your lawn tractor. It can be so frustrating when things don't live up to your expectations. Been there done that myself.

It does sound like you received some good product support, though, and that is not necessarily what we often hear from people who have bought equipment from one of the big box stores. Was the work that was done come as a result of your contact with Lowes when you started having trouble? Was the dealership shown on that label you pictured where you were referred to to have the work done?

If I understand you correctly, there has been a new carburetor installed on the engine under warranty, and the tractor has been returned to you. If that's the case, have you operated it since getting it back, and is there now a new warranty on that carb? How was Lowes and the John Deere dealership to work with as you got this done?

While yours wasn't necessarily the best of experiences, maybe you could tell us what worked and didn't work for you in getting your tractor fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to answer your questions. The Pictured Dealer was not the center that serviced the tractor. I will say that my experience with Lowes on the customer service end was NOT good. Courteous but very ... clueless.

It took 3 of 3 "customer service" agents i talked with 10+ minutes to locate my information. I had registered the warranty with John Deere [1 year] through Lowes because I took the extended 4 year warranty [Lowes]. Maybe a system infrastructure problem.

It took the service center 1 FULL WEEK to pickup the mower, who i will not reveal, 1 week to fix the problem [new carb] THEN they said it would take a FULL week to deliver the tractor back. I argued with them about the return date and they took 5 days to return the tractor instead of 7.

During this whole time I had to call the Lowes and the service center to ASK what was going on.

Next time I'll go to a Dealer if they could match the price and warranty terms with in $200.

So far I have not had much of a chance to use the mower as it is not winter in PA.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
O.K., so I'm a bit confused. Who is the dealer on the sticker you pictured if not the dealer that did the service for you? Are they the ones who initially set the machine up for Lowes before you purchased it? If so, why didn't it go back to them for the service? Have you contacted Briggs and Stratton to pose the question of recalls or service bulletins specific to that model?

Have you started the tractor since it's been returned? Does it seem to have been fixed to your satisfaction at this point? I know if it was me, I'd be running that thing all over the yard maybe even to the point that my family and friends would become concerned about my well-being.

Dealing with big box stores can be frustrating. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you have to keep in mind that you're probably not going to deal with the same person who sold you the item as you would a brand dedicated dealership, or a mom and pop run store, for instance. You may even run into a seasonal employee who wouldn't know a John Deere from a reindeer this time of year.

Please let us know how the tractor performs now that you have had this service done to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.