My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I picked up a JD 68 RER a few years ago to mow my sloped lawn. Works great - or it did. Last week, after mowing the side, I pull around to the back and stopped to close the gate behind me. When I got back on and put it in gear, it wouldn't go anywhere!

gearbox "feels" normal

blade still turns

engine runs great

parking brake non-functional NOW, but worked prior to this incident.

i peaked inside at the chain and it appears to be fine.

I'm mechanically inclined, but not much experienced with lawn-mowers. Can someone(s) recommend the steps to take to get this scooter back to work?

My manual states its for serial numbers 95,001+

Thanks for your time!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome first off. How is the drive belt from engine to gearbox? If ok, I'd look at wheel keys next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, there's the mower deck belt, and the belt above it - which I'm assuming is the drive belt? both are intact. Also, the chain in the case by the right rear wheel appears to be intact - I opened enough of the case to get a finger in there and check for tension without bending the case.

So, how do I check these keys? Do I have to take off the gas tank? I've started to, but thought I might be missing a simpler way. That's why I'm here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jeff :mlf:

If you put it in gear with the engine running you can look at the shaft in the center of the wheels hub to see if it's spinning or look under the rear to see if the chain is rotating. If the chain is rotating but the shaft inside the wheel isn't it might be the key between the chains driven sprocket and the shaft.

Let us know what you find.

You can use the JD parts website to see the breakdown of "stuff". John Deere - Parts Catalog

·
Registered
499 Posts
Have you tried anything to remedy the problem yet? I've changed the drive belt on an JD S82 RER and after removing the snap ring from the pulley (under the trans) and dropping it down to install the new belt upon re-install the shaft key was pushed out. So I re-installed the pulley and belt without a key and when you put the machine in gear the pulley spun but the shaft to trans stayed put. I pulled it down again and found the shaft key on top of the pulley, re-installed and back in business. Possibly the shaft key failed all together on yours?

How does the parking brake work on your 68? I've never really looked at mine, but if it worked before and now it doesn't that seems like a logical place to begin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I'll attempt these things tonight. I've not yet gone further than I've posted - lots of other time commitments. I'll report back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, just to be clear, I've started from "working and intact mower" and then "won't move". Its not stripped to the frame or anything. Please let me know if there is something I have to remove to get to the bottom of this situation!

I removed the right rear wheel, and the chain cover plate (pulled it back, as I did not remove the wheel mounting plate - nor do I know how to properly as of yet). I experienced this:

I could turn the wheel/axle by hand with some "hang ups" here or there that were minimal - while the transmission was "in gear".

I switched it to neutral and turned the axle by hand and saw that the entire chain moved with the wheel.

I inspected both chainring teeth while I was in there because why not. And when I switched it back to being "in gear", it would no longer turn by hand. And, voila - the parking brake now works!

As much as I'd like to assume magic played a role and I could button it up and mow, I feel certain that a similar failure will follow in the near future.

Any ideas on what might cause this intermittent engagement/disengagement of the transmission?

I did not fool with the clutch, except after i could not advance the axle by hand while in gear, when I had to put it down to test the emergency brake.

Thanks again for your time. I won't be offended if you treat me like a fool and give me abundant instructions. Searching "keys" only seems to bring up ignition information.

I do have electric ignition, which is disconnected and removed with the rest of the cover so that I can see all around the thing. I've not tried hot-wiring it to check motorized action.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
The "keys" are the little keyways inside the wheels. The little metal tabs that lock wheel to shaft, sometimes they work their way out. You may have one on other side doing this as your last post sounds kinda like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Eric!

By "other side" are you referring to the rear left wheel? Should it be "locked" to the axle?

Or are you referring to the "other side" of the chainring on the wheel, in the differential?

Should this chainring case be filled with oil? It dripped a couple drops since its been opened, but is also packed with a wax-like grease or something. Could this be a matter of it needing more lubrication?

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
facepalm

Little did i realize that the wheel mounting flange was held on by a cotter pin.

Or that it had rusted/sheared off and the wheel was slipping out.

It got about 1/2 inch out before the transmission issue occurred. Now its reseated, with the cotter pin replaced.

I'm glad it was an easy fix, but I wish I would've realized the issue sooner!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks, Eric!

By "other side" are you referring to the rear left wheel? Should it be "locked" to the axle?

Or are you referring to the "other side" of the chainring on the wheel, in the differential?

Should this chainring case be filled with oil? It dripped a couple drops since its been opened, but is also packed with a wax-like grease or something. Could this be a matter of it needing more lubrication?

Thanks all for the help!
The chain case is packed in grease. Might be worth a little time and repack it in new axle grease if it's easily accessible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! I picked up a JD 68 RER a few years ago to mow my sloped lawn. Works great - or it did. Last week, after mowing the side, I pull around to the back and stopped to close the gate behind me. When I got back on and put it in gear, it wouldn't go anywhere!

gearbox "feels" normal

blade still turns

engine runs great

parking brake non-functional NOW, but worked prior to this incident.

i peaked inside at the chain and it appears to be fine.

I'm mechanically inclined, but not much experienced with lawn-mowers. Can someone(s) recommend the steps to take to get this scooter back to work?

My manual states its for serial numbers 95,001+

Thanks for your time!
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact thing happened to mine I fix all types of stuff take it apart clean carbs anything but this one has me stumped I have looked taken everything apart everything looks fine Iv done it twice it keeps happening when I fix it it’s getting very frustrating cause it runs so great yet this keeps happening please let me know if you found out how to fix that issue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts