My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted a thread under the belief that this was PTO clutch/pully related, but further investigation reveals that when the clutch pedal is pressed down with the mower in neutral, this squeel goes away. When the clutch pedal is let out, the noise starts.

My initial beliefe is one of the idler pullys is squeeling, but I oil the heck out of it and it does not change pitch.

Any ideas what would cause this squeel when the clutch pedal is up and goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed down?

Thanks in advance for any leads to investigate.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It is most likely one of the pulley bearings or the PTO clutch itself making noise.

While oiling them is a good attempt, it is probably not getting inside the bearings. I would lift the tractor up and inspect each of the pulleys to see if you could pinpoint which one is making the noise. It is most likely going to have a loose feeling to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like one of the pulleys or idlers on the traction drive belt. When the pedal is depressed, it releases tension on the idlers, so no noise. pedal released, tension is increased and the noise starts. Set parking brake, remove deck and check each pulley and idler on the traction drive belt for roughness. You may need to remove them. Also check the drive belt itself. Medium to large chunks missing will cause a shudder in the tensioner assy which may also cause a noise. Good luck and good hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm off to the hunt. Pulled the tension pully and it sounds kile a pepper mill then you turn it by hand, so that's one. But the noise is still there with this pully removed, so I'm moving on the drive shaft items.
Can't figure out how to remove the initial bolt that holds the drive pully and the PTO clutch on. No "spare" room on the shaft to put a pipe wrench to hold the shaft and keep it from spinning whle trying to remove the lower bolt.

Can't find much on the web.

Wish me luck.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If you can get a deep socket on there with an impact, that should do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts