My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with the ball joints giving way in the steering drag link on the 160s? Im sure the same drag link is on other John Deere tractors. This is the 2nd one that has given up on me. The ball pops out of the link and wont stay on. I have currently used zip ties to keep it together and got 6 lawn cuts with it so not the end of the world but I am not spending $50+ on another one. I think I may just drill the ball joint socket out and rig something up. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or dealt with this issue before? Why is it such a crappy design?

Forgive me if this topic has been covered as well. I did several forum searches here and couldnt find anything related. Thanks for your help as always.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Seems like it must be a poor design if this is the second one you've had break down on you. Thank goodness for zip ties, I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
George, is the steering real tight? I have no issues with my 180 steering? Wonder if something else is wrong with the system causing your issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea it is a little tight. Nothing crazy but it seems it could be looser. Whats the best way to adjust?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
There isn't a adjustment that I could see. The main thing is greasing the sector gear and all moving parts including the kingpins. JD owners/ tech manuals are only available by buying them. I looked at mine and did not see any adjustment.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I just bought one like yours! I will try to remember to look into the steering tomorrow. May try to get my 180 out too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts