My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a John Deere 14SB with the Kawasaki engine today. I've always read good things about these mowers, but surprisingly enough, living just down the road from John Deere's international headquarters, they don't show up here that often. Anyway, I'm happy to say that it started on the first pull after I poured some gas into it. It surges, so a carb cleaning is most likely in the works.

I'm impressed with the quality and some of the features that I've checked out on it so far. Like the grease fitting to lube the bearings that the transmission shaft passes through on the rear height adjusters. The transmission pulls well, but 5 speeds is outrageous! My gosh you have to run behind it in 4th and 5th!

I've been looking at the parts diagrams on John Deere's parts to figure out how things go together before I start taking things off.

Can somebody with experience with these mowers give me direction on removing and servicing the BBC?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Cool stuff!

That will be a nice addition to your Hondas for sure. I always liked the bold lettering on the front of the deck on these mowers.

Looking forward to seeing some photos! :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, the lettering is pretty noticeable, especially on this one since some how the D went missing, so this one is a John eere.:D Might have to replace that.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took a look at it this morning, but being unsure of how it all goes together, I didn't get far with it. Looks like it has to come off in order to change the belt.

Anyone with a copy of a service manual for the 14SB they'd care to share?

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Anybody got an extra owner's manual?

I popped for a pdf of the tech manual online, and I'm very happy with it. It is a quality copy.

If any member has an extra owner's manual I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for it, and cover the postage as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts