My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I have a good question for my first. I have a JD 112L tractor/lawn mower. It has the hydrostatic auto transmission. The drive belt runs from the engine to the rear transaxle and Im not sure how to replace it. There is an electric PTO clutch under the motor below the pulley for the main belt. It operates the mower deck belt. The main belt & pulley are closer to the motor right above the pto clutch. There is an idler pulley on the belt to tension it, but that is all. So, does anybody know the steps to replace the main belt. It is on a 1985 JD 112L lawn mower. I think the PTO clutch has to come off, but I hope not. I am all ears....& Thanks.

Mike
1985 John Deere 112L lawn mower very similar to the JD 111:help:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Apply the brake , this will make the belt go slack so it can be taken off the pulleys easily.
Normally you only have to undo the PTO clutch power wires and remove the belt keepers.
Can't remember if the belt goes down one side of the steering gear or not.
If it runs down both sides then you have to slip the steering shaft up out of the way.
I like to slip the belt off the engine pulley.
This will give you enough slack to take the belt off the gearbox pulley.
Then pull all that slack to the front and remove it completely from the engine end then from around the clutch tensioning pulleys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bertsmobile. Im gonna tackle it this eve. I am worried that the belt cannot fit between the pto hardware and frame at the front of the engine. Possibly having to remove something. it is a very small gap. I was trying to find the manual to see whether it is normally removed when replacing the belt. again thanks will touch base later.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Yes, removal of PTO required! Not a big deal, might have to remove deck to make it easier! Take pictures for proper routing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts