My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've thought for a long time that it would be fun to own a small 18-21' go-fast style boat; in other words, impractical, unsafe, and adrenaline pumping .
Something along the lines of an STV with a huge 250 Merc outboard on the back or an even an old skool 70's jet boat. One that's low and small that can be tucked away in the garage easy that doesn't take up a lot of room.

For fun today I was browsing the local CL and was surprised how cheap the old 70's jet boats are listed for.

This one caught my eye that's local: JET BOAT FAST AND LOUD

Of course condition is another thing and true to CL form, it seems everyone's engine was "just rebuilt and all gone through." But if a good deal came along this winter on some thing, I'd probably consider it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Just kidding. I've never owned a boat myself, but had the use of them, and they are a lot of fun. Don't know that I'd want to rip up the water like that guy in the video, but hey, it does look like a good time.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I love boats!

My grandfather has a 16' Alweld Jon boat with a Yammie jet outboard. It's not very fast, but you can get into some real skinny water with that thing!

That guy is really ripping it up!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, boats can certainly be costly to own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...My grandfather has a 16' Alweld Jon boat with a Yammie jet outboard. It's not very fast, but you can get into some real skinny water with that thing!...
I've been wanting to make one of those long tail mud motors for my 12' johnboat for a while.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Jet boat for sure. Love the rooster tail and you never have to worry about grounding your prop on a sandbar.

Myself, I'd have or install wet headers as I like it a bit quieter rather than dry headers just blasting out the exhaust.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
499 Posts
Those boats go really fast on flat water Austen, but they are pretty one dimensional (spoken like a practical family man). A load of fun I'm sure, but there isn't a rod holder or cup holder to be found on one, and speeding around from one end of the lake to the other does get old after a few circuits! But if you do go and buy one, I'd like go at the helm! :2th:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I remember as a kid in the 70's my step father and I were at the marina where he kept our boat. The marina put a small go fast boat similar to what's in the video in the water and tied it up to the dock. This thing had a small V8 for a motor and only room for one person. Pretty soon the owner showed up got in, started it up and took off like his tail was on fire. Well the bow shot nearly straight up, the owner panicked, back off the throttle and the boat slipped under the water tail first. I couldn't believe what I had just seen.
Morale of the story, be careful.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
499 Posts
Marinized BB Ford 460, pass anything but a fuel dock! LOL

The boat looks like it's been well cared for!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, range wouldn't be good. It's something you go out and play for a while then head back to shore. I'd probably also want some kind of backup power (whatever that may be) to get back to shore less the engine if there was an issue.

It's probably just coincidence but it seems like half the time I see these boats owners are always having trouble getting their motor to refire after they shut them off (for whatever reason) while out in the water. You always see and hear the engine coughing trying to start with steam rolling out the exhaust at the same time. Cool boats though..

·
Registered
499 Posts
You know Austen, they are all powered bye old school carbereted V8 engines. I'm wondering if most of these boats just need to be fine tuned to today's fuel. On one of the ponds we frequent there are a few boats like the one your looking at and they all have trouble starting cold or warmed up. Once they get them running they are fun to watch hammer around the pond, very little draft so they can go almost anywhere.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, that could be.

I was reading about these boats and I guess because of the low draft, you have to be careful when making sudden stops as water can come over the back and partially swamp the engine, lol.

This however would be the most important part of the boat.

·
Registered
686 Posts
NO WAY !!

The location and proper support of the libations is the most important (second only to the libation itself) :cool

I actually installed one of these on my riding mower too !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts