My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited a JD Z355R zero turn mower from my dad and it runs great, until lately. The issue I have is that after about 10 minutes of mowing, it starts losing power and tries to stall out. I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter and have sprayed Gum-Out carb cleaner into the intake and this doesn't seem to help. Has anyone encountered this problem? Hopefully its a simple fix that I might be able to do myself instead of taking it to the dealer or repair shop and having to pay too much for the shop labour.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Welcome to MLF. Try loosening the gas cap when it starts stalling. Could be a blocked vent in the cap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, it does. It sputters a bit but after about 10-15 seconds, it goes back to running normal.
sorry for the extra questions.
"yes it does" to which question, going into neutral or disengaging the blades or both?
Is this stalling happening from a cold start, then cleans up and runs normal for the rest of the day?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the extra questions.
"yes it does" to which question, going into neutral or disengaging the blades or both?
Is this stalling happening from a cold start, then cleans up and runs normal for the rest of the day?
I should have said that when I disengage the blades, it returns to running normal after about 10-15 seconds. And it starts perfect and runs good for about 10 mins or so of cutting and then it starts sputtering and losing power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it still does the same thing when you try mowing again. If I drive it around the yard without the blades engaged, it runs fine. Only acts up when mowing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have you checked the spindle bearings to see whether they spin freely with no binding?

Reactions: laser3kw

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm wondering if possibly a blade spindle has a bearing going bad. next time it does this, check a couple of things. Shut the machine off and touch the belt. Be careful, if it is smoking hot it will burn you. Next, feel the spindle under the pulley to see if either or both are hot (caution burn potential). Lastly, Try to rotate the blades by hand to see if they both spin free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts