My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing multi terrain lawn tractor to pull about 400 lbs. of wood chipper up and down hills and to mow my grass. The spec. of each show both a kawasaki engine, change of 22HP to 24HP but $1300 diff. Is the diff. in transmission etc. great to warrant the price jump? Also, I'm a single lady who wants the upkeep of maintenance to be easy to get to and not too hard to handle.
Does anyone know of common problems with either model?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Both of those will mow your lawn but neither especially the X320 will pull that much weight up and down hills. Also both of those tractors will be pushed by that much weight down hills more quickly than you are going to like. Roger

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Here are a couple of replies from the other thread on the subject.

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/18-john-deere/16897-x320-x500.html

The 500 has the capability to run a wider range of attachments and also is a heavy tractor built for bigger jobs.

You mentioned hauling 400lbs which is near the limit I'd say for the 300, especially for hills. What other intended uses do you have in mind for the machine? Also, what is the layout like of your property? If there is a lot of uneven, hilly terrain and so forth, this type of thing can be an added stress factor for the outfit so you might consider the heavier machine. On the other hand if it's only going to be used for mowing and occasional hauling on a reasonable ground then you might be able to get away with the smaller machine.

Annual maintenance between both models should not be any different. You'll be looking at things like an oil change(s)- (depending on how much the machine is used) air filter replacement, spark plug etc. Not anything out of the norm in terms of general OPE maintenance. JD sells tune-up kits that include all of these parts so that you don't have to purchase them separately.

As long as the machine is well taken care of, I don't think you'll run into any problems, especially if it's operated within its boundaries.
The 500 is built on a heavier, stronger frame, and has a heavier-duty hydro to deal with the added stress of greater loads. For the kind of work you're describing, I would go for the 500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts