My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I parked my machine after cutting as usual, went to it 4 days later, the engine starts, runs fine, drives as normal but when I lift the pto switch nothing, I've looked around the JD website problem pages and various youtube video's, then decided to fit new pto switch, still nothing.
What I've done so far is:-
test the seat switch - that's ok
test the brake switch - ok
test the reverse switch - ok
test the rear bag switch - ok
tested for 12v at the pto clutch - nothing - apparently I should hear a clicking if I pull the pto switch up, but I have two hearing aids and my hearing is very poor, so I ask my wife to listen, she says nothing.
I then read somewhere that the clutch power runs through a relay, I found two relays which were linked, I didn't know how to test them so I replaced them both, still nothing.
So I decided to start from scratch (with my limited knowledge) I turn the ignition key to run position (without engine running) released brake, lifted pto switch, power comes out on a grey wire and goes to control unit under the dash, but I can't figure out where it goes or what to test after that.
I have a volt meter and can test for continuity, so any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated.:help:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Wonder if you have a broken wire somewhere? Doing a Google search found a possible issue might be a A1 Interlock module. It controls PTO along with engine controls. Might be your issue!?

Reactions: knu2xs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked the wiring over can't see any obvious issues.
I've just done a google search on the interlock module as well, only 60 euros, may as well replace it and see, apparently John deere have modified this part 3 times since my part number, so sounds like it's a common issue, will let you know.
Thanks for the info Ericjr16.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does this one have an electric clutch for the mower deck? The clutch is magnetic and the wiring inside is possibly bad. Usually they short out and blow fuses. Didn't see you say anything about blown fuses though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
JD X300R deck won't engage

I'm having about the same problem with an X304. The PTO engages and after mowing for 15-20 minutes, the PTO trips off. I have to let things cool down before it will engage again. Then the PTO will shut off again after 5-10 minutes. I was told by the local dealer the electric clutch was bad, so I replaced it. It still trips off. I checked every wire connection, switch adjustment and the voltage. I don't see a problem with what I looked at. What did you find wrong with your X300R? Maybe I have the same bad part. Please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts