My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have recently been given a JD111. It had a bad 10 horse BS motor, standard shift trans, and an electric clutch. The wiring harness has been hacked to pieces. I transplanted (shoe horned) in a really good running 18.5 horse BS twin cylinder motor. I have started the motor by using jumper cables and started the blades with a 12 volt power supply hooked straight to the clutch. I was able to drive it around the yard, it drives great, the trans works good, and I think I am going to proceed with the resto-mod. I am going to have to make the wiring harness.
Now for my question: There are two wires coming from the stator, one black and one red. I clipped the red one and ran it to the clutch, the other clutch wire I grounded.....Nuttin. Will I have to have a battery hooked up and the wiring harness finished before there is enough voltage to engage the clutch or should the stator be able to do it on it's own? The two stator wires.....am I correct to believe the red is 12V and the black is the ground?

Sorry this post is so long, I just figured the more info the better.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Might try finding a wiring diagram for the 111, if you don't already have one. I know you shoe horned a different engine in there, but it might shed some light on the color scheme.

Let us know how your conversion works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much voltage is required to engage the electric clutch? Does the stator produce this much voltage? What about the color of the two wires coming out of the stator, one red and one black..........do both produce voltage or is one a ground?
Thanks, maybe I'll get it straightened out.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
How much voltage is required to engage the electric clutch?
Should be 12V DC

Does the stator produce this much voltage?
It might actually be outputting AC voltage at that point unless there is an internal rectifier on it. Also some engines have a regulated and rectified winding output for battery charging and a second unregulated AC winding for headlights.

What about the color of the two wires coming out of the stator, one red and one black..........do both produce voltage or is one a ground?
Thanks, maybe I'll get it straightened out.
Your best bet would be to pull the exact engine model, code, and serial numbers (probably stamped in the shroud) and look for it's diagram. Using those numbers you can find an operators manual that might give some clues here:

Manuals | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

Also using those numbers we might be able to find a service manual or at least a wiring diagram. Without a battery connected some regulation / charging circuits will shut down to try and protect themselves from burning up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts