My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 80's JD260. I went to get the trash bin from the curb after I was done mowing, I put on the brakes when I got to the trash can and by the time they stopped me I had almost rolled into traffic.

·
Administrator
6,296 Posts
One time with my old Jacobsen I was backing down hill in the front yard and lost one of the brake pads just as I went to stop at the curb. I ended up going backwards over the curb and into the street. Fortunately quiet street and no one coming and I got the blades shut off before going over the curb. I was still shaking for awhile after that little incident. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you trace back the brake linkage you'll see the brake assembly on the right side of the trans. Usually there is a rod with an adjusting nut at that point, hopefully you just need more tension or travel. Probably need a helper to cycle the pedal while you watch the travel. I've seen some the end that attaches to the arm that actually moves the brake is no longer connected. That's the easiest fix. That model has a drum setup. Little more difficult to tinker with if you have to replace the pads. Sometimes the shaft on part #1 (where the slots are) wears a groove all the way around (the slot machined in is where you place the shoes) and when it's turned it no longer will expand the brake shoes as they contact the non slotted section of the arm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's way easier than a car:tango_face_grin: No coil springs and t-keepers or ratchet adjusters.
Hardest part is taking that big garden tire off. Spray those lug bolts from behind and let 'em sit for a while if they haven't been off recently.
It'll look like this pic, the assembly just forward of the right side axle (left in picture) on the side of the tranny case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got the brakes off, and it looks like there is over a 1/4" left on each shoe

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can pull the brake lever on the differential assembly all the way forward, but I can still spin the hub with no resistance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Are the splines wore away inside the drum or worse on the shaft coming out of the trans? As I remember you shouldn't be able to turn the drum (like if you have all the pads and stuff removed and just put it back on the shaft). If it does stop the shaft, is the cam worn away (part reference #1 above)

I didn't see your other post reference 1/4". Pads look to be quite a bit thicker than that new? Perhaps the machine was running with the brakes adjusted a bit too tight for a bit too long?

OUCH! $100 for lawn tractor shoes????????????
https://www.ebay.com/p/John-Deere-Brake-Shoe-Kit-240-260-AM878122/1100695941

·
Registered
348 Posts
I take it the splines are still intact on the drum hub and the shaft coming out of the tranny?
I just looked up the drum hoping the splines were just shot, but it's close to $90:tango_face_surprise
If you can verify the drum stopping will stop the tranny (splines are working and the interior of the shaft is in fact stopping the trans) I wonder if shimming the inner surface of the drum with type of bendable metal would allow the worn pads to catch.
1/4" stock cut to fit maybe. Can you operate it with the case off to see if the shoes are expanding, but not enough to touch the inside of the drum? Is there anymore adjustment left in the linkage to make them expand further? Tac weld a bigger bump on the cam lobe? Just random thoughts.:tango_face_wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.