My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This problem is killing me. I'm a mechanic by trade (industrial equipment) but this has me stumped. It starts up fine, runs fine, but as soon as it either runs for about 10 seconds or I open the choke it dies.

I first drained all the gas and replaced it with new gas. Then I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Then I replaced the spark plugs. Then I replaced the fuel filter and pump again with real John Deere brand since I got the first ones from Amazon.

Nothing has worked at all. No improvement or change in symptoms.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A couple of wild guesses. I keep an old push mower fuel tank with 3 ft of fuel line that I attach directly to the carb. That isolates any problem with the pump, filter, fuel line or rear tank blockage. Second, make sure the fuel solenoid is working. Third, put 2 in line spark testers on to see if some electrical problem is killing the spark. Not necessarily in that order.
Cannon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Cannon. Those are some excellent suggestions. I especially like the first, as troubleshooting is something I'm fairly good at with electrical or logic circuits, and that is a great troubleshooting technique. I love it. I'm going to try all your suggestions today and I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1953 Lawn Boy, 2008 Craftsman Pro, 1991 JD 260 GT
32 Posts
Hi all. This problem is killing me. I'm a mechanic by trade (industrial equipment) but this has me stumped. It starts up fine, runs fine, but as soon as it either runs for about 10 seconds or I open the choke it dies.

I first drained all the gas and replaced it with new gas. Then I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Then I replaced the spark plugs. Then I replaced the fuel filter and pump again with real John Deere brand since I got the first ones from Amazon.

Nothing has worked at all. No improvement or change in symptoms.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Something is restricting the fuel to your engine. A lot of times it's a dirty carburetor. I would take it off, take carb cleaner, & spray all the holes on the carb. Including taking the carb bowl off. Also, just an obvious thing that we all sometimes forget... Make sure your fuel shut off valve, if you have one, is open.

Also, Make sure you leave the carb choke on for a bit longer first then SLOWLY move it back int full run position. In colder weather our mowers need more fuel. Choke it for a bit longer first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not familiar with this particular machine, but if the carburetor has a main jet brass screwed into the bottom of the float bowl, remove that brass jet and spray liberally with carb cleaner and, you might consider using a welders torch cleanerTo slightly enlarge the circumference of that fuel jet hole which is a pretty tiny hole in the bottom of the brass jet. Just a thought for your consideration. I agree with those who are targeting fuel starvation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The carburetor that he's talking about is not a diaphragm type of carburetor. The main jet is clogged and needs to be cleaned out with a piece of wire. Spraying it with carburetor cleaner will not clear out the jet. The ethanol gas we have leaves a crystal residue and will not wash away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts