My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this last summer...cleaned up real nice...all original..need space, thinking on re-listing on CL...Anyone have idea of value...its a 2 speed , no blade clutch, BS engine...I always liked the attractive Green color of the Sabres..just never came across the 21" mower before...Do see plenty of the 14SB silver decks...Thinking this was short lived ?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sabre was a economy line of lawn equipment produced by Deere & Company from 1995 until 2002. If I remember right...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am pretty good about the 21" and I myself have never seen one of the Sabre models before! All I've ever used were the John Deere 14SB's and 14SE's. This is interesting, they were never sold at my local JD Dealer or other stores. The dealer only had the 14SB's and JX75's and the other silver and green deck models. That could be confused for a Lawnboy from a distance!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup..exactly how its built...except for the unusual 2 speed tranny...No doubt was a much more affordable model as compared to the 14sb's....., I've seen a lot of JD mowers in the past years...But this is a First for me ! Maybe I should make some room, and keep it !

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah...to convert it to 14sb, only the deck and 4 wheels are same...So far, I have not heard from any JD collector if they have ever saw or owned one of these, or presently have in their collection.......Maybe I have the only one here in NE.,,,! $$$

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I have a copy of the John Deere Technical manual for the John Deere mowers, and the Sabre version isn't mentioned.

It looks like it says Mulch and Bag 14SS on that emblem on the front. Seems like that Sabre would pretty much be the same as a John Deere 14SZ.

SilverDeck explains John Deere's designations here:
http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...4-series-walk-behind-mowers-silver-decks.html

There aren't many references I've been able to find about the Sabre mowers. It's a parts breakdown for the 14SS and 14PS models.
http://www.dowdatractor.com/OemPart...ER_RELATED_PARTS/25470002/2547D061C0102000006

Of course, John Deere will sell you manuals for them:
http://www.deere.com/servlet/com.de...=we&exactModelSearchFlag=&orderBy=pubType&tM=

I think you might have something kind of unique there. You should probably hang onto that one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thnx Bruce for your time researching...Mower is presently packed away in shed..but I'm noticing the model differences of 14SS and 14PS...I'm thinking the SS signified 2 spd trans....and PS as possible single speed...But, the plot thickens...as I recorded 14ps from the embossed tag and I see 14SS is on the deck decal...Don't believe this was ever swapped at a dealer...Just sorta thinking it left the factory with both models showing...Prob just not enuf of these were built for anyone to care if tag and decal didn't exactly match !

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
looking online it is a 14sz with a late model quantum engines instead of the earlier lower hp quantums with manual choke and throttle

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Thnx Bruce for your time researching...Mower is presently packed away in shed..but I'm noticing the model differences of 14SS and 14PS...I'm thinking the SS signified 2 spd trans....and PS as possible single speed...But, the plot thickens...as I recorded 14ps from the embossed tag and I see 14SS is on the deck decal...Don't believe this was ever swapped at a dealer...Just sorta thinking it left the factory with both models showing...Prob just not enuf of these were built for anyone to care if tag and decal didn't exactly match !
Then you might have a really rare bird there if it has both model designations on it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
43128...Yup.....I never saw a JD 14SZ...But, believe you're correct....My Sabre seems to be same mower, just green paint...And probably sold for lower price...But Sold where? Doubtful at JD dealers...and nobody that I heard from seems to have ever seen them at any retail stores...!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
My Toro/Wheelhorse/John Deere dealer had the Sabre tractors, only one or two when I bought my LT150. Maybe they could special order them?

He seemed though in my case to mainly be using it to point out how some of the parts were made lighter (steel cable instead of link rods for some functions on the mower deck for example) as compared the LT series on up.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup....Dealers had the Sabre "tractors"...it's these darn , everyday 21" lawnmowers that came as Sabre models that seems elusive, as to how they were sold........For no special reason, I'm beginning to wonder if they were marketed by SEARS..? Was hoping to hear from some 'hard core' JD collectors, that may own one...I posted on "Mytractor Forum also...under the John Deere forum...but they moved my thread to "wal kbehinds'.....assume JD was strictly for JD tractors...so dunno if all JD collectors are seeing the thread...!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts