My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda HRJ 216 (engine is a GXV160) which has performed flawlessly for about six years. Last weekend I needed to sharpen the blades and found that the Woodruff Key had sheared as a result of what I thought was a very minor argument with a plastic drain cover and noticed in the manual that there should be something called a Thrust washer between the blade holder and the crankshaft, but all I could see was the remains of a paper thin section of what once might have answered to that description. I live in a major city in Thailand and although there are plenty of Honda retailers and some service places around, no-one appears to have ever seen or heard of a Thrust Washer and I can't even find a detailed close up photo of one online to show them.

I've had to put the mower back together without one, but nervous as to what, if any, damage might result. Any thoughts, and in particular a photo, would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I think my model is Chinese made, but as you say, the engine is the same. The Thrust Washer that I am looking for is part of the blade assembly and fits between the blade holder and the crankshaft but the parts diagram in the user manual just shows an ordinary looking washer, in which case you'd think it's not a special Honda part. The fact that no-one here seems to have seen one and the bits I found seem anything but ordinary is what's giving me a headache!

Here's a page from my user manual.

Font Circle Auto part Diagram Engineering

Here's what I think was the remains of the Thrust Washer. It is so thin that I initially thought it was a piece of black plastic, but it's quite sharp, looks fibrous, and isn't interested in magnets. Whatever it is, the parts diagram isn't much help!

Body jewelry Jewellery Font Bracelet Art

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thrust washers are flat washers that are located between a rotating surface and a stationary component. They support the axial load or side to side motion on a shaft and prevent movement along that shaft.
The thrust washer provides a surface on to which a bearing is supported. The thrust washer keeps rotating components aligned on shafts and restricts axial movement.
Unlike a normal washer which can be nylon or carbon or stainless steel. Thrust washers are often made of bronze.
Not sure about yours.
If your missing it I would replace it, it is there for a purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that looks like the underside of my mower (although the crankshaft protrudes further - maybe down to the deck design?). I'll order the part and try it next time I take it to bits for blade sharpening.

Many thanks for your help :)

(Now all I need is for someone to start selling a decent electric ride-on over here and I'll swap it for my TroyBilt Pony!)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll order the part and try it next time I take it to bits for blade sharpening.
For what it's worth, I would not run the mower without the thrust washer. That's what the blade disc holder bolt snugs everything down against.

Reactions: Big Ed
1 - 8 of 8 Posts