My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I like to fix old outboards & small engines and would like to get information on 1947 jacobsen lawnqueen 20 inch reel mower I just got running . I need to know where you can get grips, repro stickers, grasscatcher & diameter & length of three rollers . Is their anyone who does wood work for them ? Thanks !

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: jeffward

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF, hopefully someone will chime in with a source for the rollers or at least some info.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to MLF!!

Cool project! That's great you got her running. :ThumbUp: Any pics? Would love to hear about your story with it.

Grips: Coke bottle style grips are the originals. I can't remember off hand the size of the inner diameter, you'll have to measure the handle. You can find these new that are made for bobber motorcycle projects or Schwinn bicycles. Here is a link for reference to the type: [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-120mm-Vintage-Coke-Bottle-Style-Chopper-Bobber-Grips-1-/171077649065?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d505c2a9&vxp=mtr"]Black 120mm Vintage Coke Bottle Style Chopper Bobber Grips 1" | eBay[/ame]

Decal: A new one will have to be custom made as they are no longer available. There are different options out there in terms of finding a source to create one. I had a friend create the one for mine (it is not an exact replica of the original) and I can pass along his info to you if you would like.

There is a site called "Click it and Stick it" and while they don't have a reproduction for the LQ, they do offer an option to create your own based off the original. I have not used their service before so I cannot share any experience there.

I know there are other folks out there that have this ability who restore old engines and equipment but I don't know of any specific contacts other than my previous reference.

Grass Catcher: I am currently out of state so I don't have access to my machine to take measurements of the catcher. I purchased one a few years ago at an old lawnmower shop that still had a couple left. You do see them from time to time on Ebay, typically they are used. To be honest, they are somewhat hard to find for the LQ as they seemed to have been primarily built for the smaller 18" mowers but keep your eye out there. When you do see them, be sure to get the width of it. Pretty much any type should work as long as it measures the full width of the beadknife.

Rollers: Again, I unfortunately cannot take measurements at this time however they should be fairly easy to make on a wood lathe. They are so similar to a rolling pin used for cooking. I can't remember off hand if the member bwdbrn1 sold his LQ, but if not he might be able to take those measurements. If not, these mowers do frequent Ebay fairly often and you might be able to convince a seller to take them for you.

Also on another very touchy and debatable subject to some, run SAE 30 weight non-detergent oil at a mix of 16:1 just as it specifies in the original manual- which you may already be doing anyway. Some folks do run modern 2 cycle oils in these machines, however, they were not designed for it and the plain bronze bearings will not hold up to it as long versus the SAE 30 weight oil they were designed to be run on.

Hope this helps some in the meantime and definitely keep us posted on this project!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hey, another Jake fan! Welcome to MLF! Caution: Once you have one, you'll want to add more to your collection. That was me until I realized I just didn't have the room to keep them all.

Yes, I sold mine, so sorry I can't help you with the dimensions.

I have no idea if this place featured in a story on Iowa Public Television is still up and running or not, but would't hurt to try to contact them. If you take a look at the second picture in the story, there's a Jacobsen right there up in front.

Living In Iowa - Lawn Mower Museum

You might be able to find a wood worker who could turn some new rollers for yours. I believe most were made of maple back in the day. Rolling pins are similar, but not as big around as the original rollers were. I had found a length of round oak hand rail at a lumber yard that I cut to length and drilled holes through for my Lawn Queen and an Eclipse Parkhound. They worked, but again, they weren't as big around as original.

Good luck, and like Austen said, we'd love to hear more about your Lawn Queen and see some pictures of her too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts