My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story:

I bought an F620 with a 60" cut with a blown motor for 350. All appears to be in tact other than the motor which the previous person tore it down figuring out what was wrong before seeing the block was damaged beyond repair. Trying to get a new block and piecing it all back together is appearing to be more costly instead of getting a new motor and slapping it in there.

With that being said the motor that was in this one was a Kohler Command Pro 25. From what I have been finding online a majority of these came with the 20hp instead so 1. I am at a loss as to which is going to be the better route or why this one came with a 25hp motor 2. I am unable to find any clear documentation as to what the model number is to the engine that I need that will directly replace the current motor (as far as shaft size etc) and 3. I am trying to figure out if the HP is going to matter so part number for either engine would be very helpful.

If anyone can give me any info as far as the part numbers, pros/cons of the smaller vs the larger motor etc it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Welcome shenanigans! :)

My only thought would be to take the Kohler model number off the engine you have now and look on the Kohler site or maybe send them an email asking what of their current line would be a bolt on replacement.

Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

I did some digging on the net and it does look like most came with a 20 hp. instead. I found this as well:

Specifications

Might also check with your local Deere dealer and see if they have any information as far as a cross reference to what engine might work as a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking for some sort of identifier on the old motor but the block was trashed as well as the pistons, rods etc. I have a box containing the rest of the motor but i am still at a loss...will give john deere a shot tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
I wish all manufactures would go back to stamping the numbers on all engines someplace instead of using sticky labels. Sooner or later the labels either are unreadable or end up missing. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts