My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im not really into lawns, more into blowers, but trying to make my life easier and get a rider. getting too old to fight with walk behind blowers and shovels. looking foward to getting all kinds of advise from here, hopefully. we will find out soon enough. now, lets have cake:party

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:welcome: to MLF!!

We're glad you joined! I'll bet that blower on the front of the Bobcat in your avatar will blow some snow! :cool

To start out in order to narrow down some options, what size of jobs will the machine be used for? Additionally, are you considering used, new, or both?

Good choice of cake I might add! :party.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will, fits perfect on city sidewalks too. I got the blower because we ran out of places to stack the snow, with the blower, I blow it over the stacks. I plow for a few churches, and if it wasnt for that, i would leave the thing at my cabin, because right now im not having the best of luck getting in my long driveway.For now, I have 2 homes. One, for the most part is a summer home, but I do have to get up there a few times in the winter to bring back firewood or go snowmobiling. Right now I have a 36inch ariens blower, but by the time i get up there to remove snow from the drive, the blower wants to crawl on top of it, instead of go thru it. So, long story short, I want to pick up a used rider, and only need a blower attachment. Any input would be appreciated as far as if its better to have PTO or belt driven blower, ect. Below, are a few of my choices in my area right now. Dont know if i was supposed to put this here, or start a new post, but i can always move it. BTW, my driveway is over 100 feet long, and blower might have to go thru over 1 foot of snow, some 2 foot drifts.

in no particular order, here are some im looking at. I will post the link instead of typing the whole thing out, that way you can see the machine as well. Below the link, i will post the price i talked them down to , so far.

Tractor/SNOWBLOWER
didnt contact this guy yet.

Simplicity Sovereign 16hp 7116 Garden Tractor 48"Deck,42"Snowblower,
this guy went down to $1199, But said to call if i want to look at it and make offer.

Bolens Snowthrower
this guy went down to $500

BOLENS FULLY ENCLOSED RIDING SNOWBLOWER
i didnt contact this guy yet

Simplicity Broadmoor Tractor with Snowblower
this guy went down to $800, im still waiting to see if it has PTO or belt, and hydralic lift. would like to offer him $700.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:welcome:Welcome to MLF Batman, glad you jumped aboard. Hopefully we'll get you some advice to help you make a good decision on a rider, meanwhile enjoy the forums.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Welcome to MLF batman. Gee, you have enough snow in your parts to need a snowblower?! I might have to load mine up and come on up to your neck of the woods to get to use it.:2th:

Those machines you listed there look like they're all pretty decent. Especially the Simplicity Sovereign tractor, but then it's also the most expensive of your initial group, and has a mower deck you say you don't need. But it does have hydraulic lift, a hefty 16HP engine, and darn good looking snow blower attachment, and looks to have been well cared for.

Looks like it's a belt drive, and I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that other than you may have to go slower in some snow conditions than you might with a PTO. I've got a 39 year old garden tractor with a 39" belt drive snow blower on it that is belt drive, and there have been times that it stopped throwing, but stopping, backing up and letting it clear itself took care of it.

The Broadmore looks like it has manual lift, and I'd guess it to be belt drive also.

The Bolens are likely good tractors, but if I'm not mistaken, hasn't Bolens become part of the MTD line? The point being that parts for the older lines might be an issue.

There's probably a lot of John Deere tractors that fall into the price range you've got in your examples, and they have an extensive dealer network, which is something I'd think of in looking for a unit you intend to have for any length of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, i thought the same about the bolens as far as parts. so far, the john deeres i found were too expensive, one that was less expensive was leaking and didnt look like it was taken care of. I would also like to find a cub, i hear good things about them. Is single stage good enough?

btw, cabin just got a foot of snow, with 2 foot drifts last week, and another 4 inches this week. the farmer had to help me get in there, and i really dont like to ask for help.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
A foot of snow with two foot drifts! That does it, I'm packing my bags and heading north.:ThumbUp:

Yes, lots of folks will swear by the old Cubs too, and because they have an almost cult like following, there's plenty of sources of parts to keep them going. I do think they were PTO driven.

My gosh, here's a whole truck load of them over by Spring Green. Nice places to eat, and a couple of nice shops over there too. Could make a good day trip for you.
http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/3485794808.html

The single stage I have has served me well. I think if you get into the 2 stage units, the price tends to really shoot up.

Another question comes to mind, are you looking for one to run right out of the box, or would one that needs a little TLC fit into your search too?

·
1,329 Posts
Im no athority on snow removal, last winter I rigged my tractor for snow, got NO snow. This winter, put the cab on, the rear blade and FEL on and ready to go. got three inches so far, took four tries to get that amount.:ROFL

anyway, Welcome to MLF batman, good to have you with us. looking forward to your post and hopfully some pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts