My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 9 acres of property that requires a good cut. As you can see, there is a bit of an incline in some areas. I was considering a John Deere 1545 72' Flex Deck Rotary Mower

What do you say?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Steiner 430 Max with Dual tires that goes anywhere, it is slowwwwwwww. My lawn guy had to buy a 4 wheel drive John Deere to mow my lawn as his Zero turn didn't want to climb the hill. I always notice that there is scalping and high, low lines (cuts) on the lawn where the land undulates.

I also have a 15' bat wing, ;-0 it's a bit of an overkill.

The property is located in NW South Carolina.

The retirement is partially due to the economy, thus the need for me to consider full time lawn maintenance on the property.

This is a picture I just took with the surveillance camera. Maybe it shows the detail of the cuts with a solid mowing deck.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive got an L2800 Kubota with a front end loader. That's as small a tractor as I want. I've gone the tractor with a belly mower before and after seeing the lawn guys using Zero turn mowers, or the like, I want to have my mowing deck up front and a low to the ground unit.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm leaning towards using my Steiner 430 with a 60" deck, I wish it was a 72" (pictured here) for the real steep hill side.

As I stated before it is slow, so I've been online looking at the large Badboy, Gravely, John Deere ZTR's with a 72" deck. I'd love to find an auction with newer machines.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That Hustler looks good, I don't have the tools to sharpen the reels. As a young man I worked at a lawnmower shop and sharpening reels was not my favorite. There's a 2006 Scag STT, 31 HP turbo diesel with a 72" deck, 508 hours for $8,500.00. It's still a 2006, so if the guy drops his price I might bite, if not I'll be looking for a new mower. I won't need it till next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.