My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just joined this forum.
I have an old Commercial Toro 2-stroke walk behind lawnmower that needed repairs. I had some issues with the transmission that I repaired and also I must have introduced some bad gas to my machine; got water in the gas tank and carb causing a lot of trouble. Pretty much ruined my carb.
I had found on one of the forums that someone had replaced their carb with one from a Honda, brand new they cost about $15.
What a difference that has made!
Just wanted to share that with this forum.
I bought my carb from Boats.Net;
part number;16100-Z0Y-013 CARBURETOR (BB62J B) (Honda Code 7979511)
Very slight modification to mounting bolt holes and plastic linkage to choke, otherwise perfect fit.

Mike Wolo

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome Mike!! Glad you joined!!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Welcome to MLF. I've heard of using the Honda carb on those mowers too. Don't suppose we could talk you into posting some pictures and walk us through the process you followed to get it to work, could we?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
replacement carb for Toro

I didn't take any pictures of the replacement carb; but it was so easy.
The carbs are very similar, the linkages all fit without any modifications, like I said the only thing that needed modification was cutting back a little of the plastic choke linkage arm that interfered with the air cleaner box; I snipped portions of it off with side cutter pliers, while checking fit.

If you have any carb issues, I highly recommend this carb .

Mike

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:welcome: to MLF!

That sounds like a fantastic modification! Well done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carb swap

Thanks mxw1. I did a little surfing and found a link over on MTF with pictures. Does this pretty much fit what you did?

The Mikuni to $14 Honda Carb Swap - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Not sure if I purchased a 2-stroke or 4-stroke carb (in reference to the above article), Maybe someone can let us know, I didn't change the main jet size like the article above states. It runs leaner than the old carb did; it doesn't 4-stroke, slight lean surge until it gets warmed up. Starts on the second pull!

I did file the side of the mounting boss about 1/16 inch. No change to the length of the mounting studs.

I also tried to remove the idle mixture adjustment limiter before I ever installed it, but ended up breaking the adjustment screw off, instead. I filed a slot in the broken end of the adjuster screw and turned it "in" all the way, then backed out 1-1/2 turns. (like my Dad always told me ) Put locktite on adjustment screw to keep it from from vibrating out since there is no longer a head, nor spring to keep tension on it. It idles perfectly.

I'm very happy with this replacement carb. I spent about a week trying to clean out passageways in the old carb to get it to idle and couldn't.
Spent about 1/2 hour to install the new carb. It runs twice as good!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Welcome from another NOOB, Mike. Thanks for the heads up with the Honda carb, I'll keep that in the memory bank :idea:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts