My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in SE PA and own 1.25 acres. About 1 acre to mow and I use a Craftsman (Green) 42" Hydro with a 15hp Kohler Command engine. Its been a good mower...dependable and great on gas, I bought it with about 3 cuttings on it for $750 about 10 years ago. I replaced the spindles and had to weld up a bracket on the deck last season, minor issues considering that it is 10+ years old.

With 3 kids I have little time to waste mowing the lawn and am in search of a bigger (46"-54") mower and one that is faster than what I have now. I have some slopes, which my current Craftsman handles with ease. So I'm looking for a lawn tractor or zero turn that can mow fast (6-8 mph) and handle some slopes. I'm not concerned with a zero-turn learning curve because I was raised on a farm and used our skidsteer to clean the barn every weekend.

It takes me about 1.5-2 hours to mow my lawn now. I have a few trees (5-6) to navigate around. But I hope to cut mowing time in half, keeping time spent to 1 hour or less. I need to keep my investment to $3000 or less.

Currently I'm considering the Cub Cadet RZT-S 50", Ariens Zoom 50", and the Craftsman Model #20391.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Welcome to MLF, Crreedjr -

Having limited experience with the models you selected I'll just wing it from what I do know: I really like the Kohler professional grade V twin engines, and from what I've heard they are quite impressive. They're a bit fuel hungry....but what isn't when you spend the big bucks on a Zero-Turn?
http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/rzts-50

This one is also a nice machine but may still carry the less-than desirable Kohler "Courage". The Courage was the red headed step child with poor performance and prone to early failure. I want to believe that Kohler has sorted all this out....but how can someone recommend this IF they're not sure??
Ariens Zoom 50" 23HP Kohler Zero Turn Mower 915161

If you're a Briggs fan and you've been happy with your current model, this may be in your comfort zone. Honestly, it is the least of the three models I'm familiar with.
2014 Craftsman T3200 Model 20391 48 in Automatic 22 hp Yard Tractor Review | TodaysMower.com

Sometimes we overlook the obvious. A nice walk or drive in the neighborhood can reveal quite a bit about who is using what. And, a little chat will let you know who's satisfied and who isn't :dunno:.

Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the forum :howdy:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts