My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founding Administrator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, DrBailey, good idea you had about posting pictures. Got me to thinking, maybe it would be interesting to take a "walk" around other members' yards, with a short description of what they've done and want to do, etc. So, everybody, there's a fridge in my garage. Let's all grab a cold drink of our choice, and stroll around my place first. Took this a year ago in the spring. On a sad note, Romeyn, the cat on our deck, was a neighborhood kitty who used to drop in to all the neighbors houses but lived at none, appears to no longer be with us. Have not seen him since spring. We tried to get him to be our garage cat, but he'd have none of that. He was an independent roamer, I guess you could say. Anyhow, here's our yard, the place where Romeyn liked to visit us as we worked in the gardens and flower beds.

Hope you enjoyed the walk. Who's next?

·
1,329 Posts
Good video, I remember that from awhile back. I havn't had any luck making a video. I joined you-tube and then I dropped the ball. One of my camara's wont make audio. I just need to take some time for video education.

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
We're only on 1/3 acre city lot here so not too much to see really. Here's a link to a page on my website with some photos I took from the top of my TV antenna tower in 2003 of the surrounding neighborhood:

Weather Station & Tower Photos

Below is a panorama of several photos stitched together I made in 2006 from the roof looking SE. (Wish I had more time to play around with doing things like taking photos of the surrounding area and making panoramas.)

Next are some photos I took in Fall 2007 at Rising Park in Lancaster.

Then I went up the trail to the top of Mt. Pleasant pictured below:

From the mountain you can see the South and West over the city. Below is looking West over the county fairgrounds:

Next is looking SW toward the center of town:

This photo taken at full zoom looking over the fairgrounds to one of the city cemeteries:

·
Founding Administrator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great pictures, Mark. Looks like the trees are just starting to turn. A town/city looks so peaceful and quiet when you see photos of them taken from a hill or bluff overlooking them. A big difference from when you are in the middle of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, badbart, is that ever a nice place. Some great shots. See a fence. Is that to keep animals in? Or out. Your home looks very nice, too. I see you are from North Florida. Near the coast anywhere?
Thanks Brad. I fenced in the back yard to let my dogs have a place to run. I had a Doberman and a German Shepard, but they died of old age. When I first bought the place in 1996 it was a cornfield in the back, and the front yard had recently been logged out. It has slowly transformed over the years....a lot of sweat equity. And at 4.5 acres, it gives the mowers a good workout. And, yes, the Gulf coast is only ten minutes away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, here's a video of my back yard when Hurricane Gustav hit. Yes it looks like a jungle as I didn't have a decent mower or weedeater at that time. It looks a lot nicer now that I have good lawn care equipment. And to get rid of the tree I even had to get my first chain saw!

·
1,329 Posts
Mark , some real nice pics! beautiful area, the third pic look's like the pic could have been taken in the Ozarks of Ar. we have a bunch of shelf rock like that with tree's growing on them.
I hope some day to have a weather cam. on my weather system.
:D thanks Mark.
BTW, your Fair Grounds are WAY nice!

·
1,329 Posts
Badbart, that looks to be a nice quite place. LOL ,wish I had a flat yard like that,:D I live in the hill's

·
1,329 Posts
WOW,junebug1701, that leaves a sick feeling in the belly.. I have been threw events like that ,only in the tornado form.
:mad: Nothing we can do but watch it happen.
Good video!

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, 2 years after Gustav, this is what my back yard looks like now. There are a few trees missing, both in my yard and the neighbor's.

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
OK, here's a video of my back yard when Hurricane Gustav hit....
Boy! Sure lucky that tree went the other direction. :eek: How did the rest of the house fair during the storm?

Mark , ...I hope some day to have a weather cam. on my weather system....
I bought a cheap Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 that I've had posting photos to Weather Underground for about a month now. I just had it looking out a window. New windows were put in this past week so I have to figure out another way to mount it as it will no longer just set on the sash. I bought a $10 halogen lamp fixture with the thought of gutting it out to put the cam inside it and mount it up on the roof. But who knows when I will get that accomplished. :rolleyes: Probably just figure out some way to get it back in the window for now. I still have one of the fancy pan, tilt, zoom IP cams on my future wish list. :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Boy! Sure lucky that tree went the other direction. :eek: How did the rest of the house fair during the storm?
You're not kidding! The insurance paid for a new roof after Andrew, and another after Katrina. This time we did pretty well, didn't lose any shingles. Our basketball goal next to the driveway got blown down, I'll have to post a picture later. You won't believe it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is our place in southern Nebraska. We have a little over 4 acres. The first picture was taken by the folks who sold it to us. It was taken from the county road (dirt) about 1/4 mile east of us. The second pic is the South side of the house. The third is inside the fence on the South side. Flowers and the walk to the garage. The forth picture is the "front" porch on the North side. I say it's the front because it faces the street and is where the mailbox is. My wife calls the South side the front because it has the big porch and is more attractive. Next is our garden. I'm planning to convert the little white building into a greenhouse by taking off the south facing "tin" wall and replacing it with translucent panels. The sixth pic was taken from the South West corner of the property. When the corn is up, it's like we have a seven foot privacy fence. (Not that there is anyone around to need privacy from...)

I took the last picture when we came to look the place over when deciding to buy it. The previous owner was "into" old tractors. I wasn't at the time, so I didn't look closely. Unfortunately, he took them all with him.

I really enjoyed the videos you guys took. I'll have to look into getting a video camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is our place in southern Nebraska.

I really enjoyed the videos you guys took. I'll have to look into getting a video camera.
Those are some great pictures, Yardman! You have a beautiful home out there.

Oh, BTW, you already have a video camera. That Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 camera you're using has a video mode! You can take some dandy videos at 30 frames per second! Try it and see.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts