My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a really nice IHC push mower that has been partly restored. Sure looks a lot like a Lawn Boy. How about it?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Yes, IH used to sell them with their colors and a different engine shroud. They're referred to as "tractor tops" Beyond the color and shroud, they were Lawn Boy.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's it. This one needs handlebars and the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Others will probably know more about what colors the handles were covered in, but this one was black. Others might have had white on them, but I'm not certain. So if it were a restore, you'd want the correct color, but I would think that a Lawn Boy handle of the equivalent model would work. Again, there are Lawn Boy folks who know a whole lot more about them.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The IH Models are some of the Rarest Lawn boys ever made.. That's all..

They Different Models had different handle covers.. Some had white, Some had black.. It doesn't really matter frankly.. It's nearly Impossible to tell which ones had white or black.. Unless you have the original handle..

You should be able to simply paint a normal LB Filter cover white.. Or Find a replacement for the Bicentennial model..

Anyway, If you can.. Get it.. It's one of the most sought after Lawn-Boy machines ever made..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, put a bid in. Did I mention it's self propelled too?:2th:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It would have been the 21" Model if it was Self propelled, They were Lawn Boy Model 8232's.

They also made a Model using an 8232E, I own the Lawn Boy equivalent and it's quite a good machine..

By any chance Smitty, Do you have the link to the auction or craigslist where you are buying it? Or is it more of a "Hey I've got this mower" Thing..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's on eBay under vintage mower. Five days left, I think. Be nice to have but if I get outbid I won't lose sleep over it. Right now it's at 100 bucks.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Wonder why the paint is so rough on the backside of the bottom of the deck? Almost looks like they have put some sort of filler material in there and painted over the top of it. Looks smooth topside though.

Edit: Second look back by the drive on top there is a paint run and does look a little roughed up. Wonder what it looks like under the cover for the drive mechanism?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Wonder why the paint is so rough on the backside of the bottom of the deck? Almost looks like they have put some sort of filler material in there and painted over the top of it. Looks smooth topside though.
Y'know Mark.. I think you are right... This looks like an incomplete restoration job..

The filler is to fill in the classic Mag Deck rot and the paint is bubbling because it's not sticking well to the Filler..

-San

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see what you are talking about. Still a neat little mower. If I had it I wouldn't run it anyway, would be in my display.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, think it went for around 130.00

·
Registered
53 Posts
These mowers are fun. My dad had one when I was growing up. I actually have 2 right now. A SP and a Push. Both are up for sale. Both are unrestored and all original as far as I can tell. Both run awesome. I love these old lawnboys. Put some gas in this spring and 1-2 pulls and they both fired right up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts