My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here. I've been enjoying all of the discussions here for a while now and thought it was time to join up.

The title sums up my problem, I just bought a house with 2 acres of lawn and the wife will not cut loose the kind of money I need to get a new, high quality machine. I'd really appreciate any advice on models of older machines that people have had good luck running (the legendary old fashioned, don't make 'em like they used to, bullet-proof tractor that lasts 20+ years). Preferably something with spare parts still readily available. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Mike
Ashton, MD

·
Registered
188 Posts
Almost any 200 series JD (210, 212, 214 or 216) would do what you want. I don't think JD is going anywhere. Just to give you an idea what is available go to E-Bay and do a search for "John Deere 212" and you can get just a sampling of whatis available for these tractors. Roger

·
Registered
28 Posts
A guy down the street from me finds and restores the old International Cub Cadets. The Internationals, not the crappy MTD ones. He sells them for about what your budget is. If you can find one of these it would be a bucket list mower, you would never buy another one.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
John Deere would probably be your easiest to maintain as far as finding parts. But any of the original Cubs, Wheel Horse, Case-Ingersoll tractors, John Deere, even Snapper from 1980's on back seemed built pretty solid in size range you need for 2 acres.

Personally I would probably look for either a Kohler or second choice a Briggs engine as for most parts available yet. Onan would probably be the most difficult and most expensive to keep going. Although there are still some dealers around that carry parts for them. Tecumseh could be a little iffy now too regarding what will remain available. Just my 2 cents and not a penny more worth. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't go wrong with a John Deere. Dealer support is usually good and they are easy to maintain. I would go with an older model, like a 318. They are bulletproof. We got a 345 and had a GT225 and those were fantastic as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts