My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have looked all over this site, and can find absolutely no reference to "Our Own". I suspect it may be Midland Co-Op, but I sure don't know.

Anyway, has anyone got a clue what this thing might be? Re-badged "something"? I suspect 11-38 is eleven horsepower, and 38-inch swath.

Pop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Well, that's a new one to me. I have never heard of a mower brand called Our Own, myself and I would tend to agree with you that it is rebadged for a particular retailer. You may also be correct about the 11 HP and 38" cut.

I found a trademark for the Our Own Hardware Company that looks pretty much like that emblem at the front of the hood on your tractor.
http://www.trademarkia.com/our-own-hardware-73714070.html
But they were in Minnesota and from the little bit I looked at it seems they started in 1949, but don't seem to be around anymore by that name.

What's your history with the tractor? It looks to be in fine shape from the photos you shared. Hopefully someone else will be along with more information for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
From your digging, it appears that "Our Own" might have been some kind of regional hardware store buying cooperative like Ace or Tru-Value.

My father spent his retired summers at the old farmstead in north central Minnesota until his passing in 1995. He bought it to use there, it's still there, and family members have maintained it ever-since.

It has some loose bushings in the front rims, and the steering needs tightening (again with some new bushings), but over-all it does the job it was designed to do after all these years.

My concern is that I haven't a clue about parts availability, and realize I may be "rolling my own" for anything that pops up. Since that always takes more time (usually a LOT more), I'm trying to find whether anything is available at all.

As a back-up, we just acquired an '84 JD-111 that needs some work. Of course, parts ARE readily-available for that one, and stuff has been ordered and is incoming, but it got me to wondering about this one. After the Deere is up-to-speed again, I may rip into this one and bring it back up to 98 percent (or more).

After-all, it was Dad's! :)

Pop

·
Registered
499 Posts
It really is in great shape, never heard of "Our Own" though. How about a shot from head on, the grill usually gives a better clue as to what it may be related to. I'm guessing MTD so far. :2cents:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I came back to California yesterday. I'll be back in Minnesota in a month or so.

However, I have requested my brother to get a couple of shots of it "head-on", and "from the driver's seat".

I'll have those from him in the morning tomorrow.

'Till then, I'll look at some MTDs tonight and compare.

EDIT:
That 698-031 part of the nameplate, when cross-referenced to the MTD of the same number, seems to look REAL close! Maybe we're on to something!

Thanks!!!

Pop

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing some Google-searching last evening, I am increasingly-confident that this is, indeed, an MTD product.

To help eliminate any doubt, I am attaching two more photos below that I received this morning.

Thanks to all of you that pointed me in the right direction on this, and I now know that steering and wheel bushings are QUITE available, along with many other parts.

Again, thanks for making this search really easy for me!

Pop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
You're welcome, and thank you for letting us help. Please keep us in the loop on your work when you get those bushings. It looks like a very well kept machine, and should give you and your family years of enjoyment on the old farmstead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I won't be able to get back to Minnesota this year.

All the parts are there, just waiting for me to install them.

Summer, 2016, it seems, will be when this thread again gets addressed.

Does this forum have a "stale-thread time-out" feature (it's an optional feature of vBulletin) where it auto-closes stale threads? If so, I may just start a new thread next year and link back to this one. If it WILL allow me to continue this one next year, that's how I will handle it.

[sigh] I had so hoped this would work out, but it is not to be......

Pop

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I don't think that the thread will go stale, just find it on your home page under threads started by and you should be able to post in it again. I've seen some threads a couple years old get revived by new fellas not looking at the date :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts