My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I would do as many others have done and do a LB "re-do". It wont be that involved since the everything works with the exception of my having to replace the flywheel stop cable, which I already have on hand.

It will be a rattle can restoration, but hey...its what I have access too.
YouTube kept giving me problems uploading, so the first three vids are in the wrong order. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to go ahead and burn off the carbon on the muffler. While its off, why not?

It gives me a reason to have Tammy come home and give me a puzzled look on her face as I am roasting a muffler on the side burner (that I never, EVER use) of the grill. :bag::eek: That alone will make it worthwhile, lol!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
What is this burn technique? Could you describe the why's and how's of it for us LB handicapped folks? ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure! No problem. Pretty straightforward. Take off your round steel LB muffler and put it on the burner. Let it toast the carbon on one side and then flip. It will burn out the caked carbon and turn it to powder. Wipe, paint and put back on.

I have heard you can do it with aluminum mufflers also, but have to be careful not to melt them. Here is a YouTube link for doing it. (You can also use an outside crab steamer/turkey fryer base).

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work!! This will be great to follow.

Great videos, thanks for making the time to create them!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The LB muffler cleaning vids aren't mine, but Kudo's to Lawnboy 8461 for them and the info.
My YouTube has been acting funny today. I know for a fact I posted this as the last vid in the original post, but it just doubled #5 instead of posting #6.

Anyway, here is the deck all power washed and ready to go. I left it outside to dry overnight.......and of course it rains just enough to get it damp again. I will bring it in the shop, wipe it down and see how it goes. I may chance it, but with 87% humidity today, I don't think I will be painting any. At least I can work on the controls, handle and pull start.

If this one goes pretty well, I may end up redoing my 7071 too. Its my favorite because its light and very maneuverable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've seen videos on youtube of guys taking an acetylene torch and burning the carbon out of the muffler from old 2stroke SAAB's, thats fun to watch:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know they are all out of sequence (dang YouTube, lol!) but here are a few more.

My rendition of burning the LB muffler and some other vids that wouldn't post for whatever reason yesterday. Enjoy!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't get much done today. I painted the muffler, height adjusters and touched up the rear wheel plastic housing. I also painted the lift assist blade to protect it a little bit.
I will post a few pics tomorrow sometime as I get more completed. I have other things to do tomorrow that aren't as fun as this. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well....I finished some more on this thing. Almost finished. Nothing but the blade, adapter, blade fan and fuel cap and it will be up and running. I still need to shim the front wheel shafts or get new wheels to get the fronts to stop wobbling, but that's not really a problem right now. I can do that later on when I find some nice used ones. I cant see paying PartsTree almost $30 per wheel. :dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yay! I finally got time enough to get it completed except some tweaks, new wheels and other little things. It runs, cuts and self propels so I am happy. That and it looks a good bit better!!!!!

OOOps! I just realized I have the right rear wheel cap still laying on the bench. I guess I have to put that on tomorrow. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Wow, Looks and Sounds Great!

Those wheels Are supposed to have caps?? Now that I see it it looks Much Nicer... Every Mower I've ever had With the later style wheels Have been such Broken down Wrecks they must have just been missing them..

Anyway, Nice Restoration Man!

-Stan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts