My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about an engine revving too high. I have a Troy bilt 12A-562Q711 mower. The engine was surging, took it to a shop, they "repaired" it by replacing the carburetor. It worked fine for about 2 more times when mowing. It started making thesame surging noise, so I added some B12 Chemtool to try to clean everything out. That did not seem to help, so I removed the carburetor to inspect it, it looked fine, so I reinstalled it. Now it is not surging, it is revving up really high after the choke disengages, and I am afraid it is going to damage the engine if I let it run this way. I can not find a picture of the throttle linkage anywhere, so I am not sure if I have everything connected properly. There is a wire arm connected to the governor (I think this is a governor) on top of the carburetor, and then a small spring in a different hole that connects to the same place the wire arm is connected on the outside of the engine. The choke side does not have anything connected to it, but there is a spring on the bottom that holds it open when the choke is not engaged. What else could be wrong with this? I don't know much about engines, so I am trying to describe my problem the best I can from what I have learned by watching youtube videos. It sounds like something is stuck open and maybe letting too much fuel/air in? I'm not sure. Probably an easy fix, but I would rather not take it into a shop again if it is something I could repair myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What make of engine is this?
It sounds like the Governor may be the root of the problem.The linkage setups can vary widely depending on application.Also if the governor spring is stretched or damaged in any way this can cause exactly what you are describing.Governor adjustment should be checked also.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a Honda engine. I was also thinking the governor, but I can not find a diagram of this engine or how to check it. Is it internal? I called Troy bilt and talked to a CS rep, and she said it could be the governor spring, but it is internal and they dont want customers getting into that.? If I knew what to look for or had a picture for reference, it might help me.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the site. Maybe our resident Honda guru Robert may have some insight.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts