My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine is a briggs 20hp mod 467707, type 0145-E3 ,code 0002165A. Just rebuilt entire engine put new carb, cleaned fuel tank ,replaced all fuel lines. When I crank it up it runs for a few seconds then floods out and shuts down. When it first shuts down I looked into carb throat and fuel is pouring down into the intake manifold . It does it each time it shuts down and it is so bad it thins my oil out. I put a fuel shut off valve inline on the vacuum fuel pump hose. I can close it off 1/4 turn and the engine will run fairly well for maybe 5 or 6 min then it shuts down. When it shuts down it doesn't have that surge of fuel rushing down the carb throat. It has a brand new carb and I took the top off to check the float and all seems right in that area. What does it sound like I have done to my engine? What can I try to make it run right. Why would it run with the vacuum closed down some? Thanks
:dunno:

e3

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Sounds like the float is out of adjustment or saturated (Even if its new) or you may have a piece of debris in the needle and seat. When putting on or swapping fuel hoses, it's easy for a small piece of hose to break off from the ridges on the fuel nipples and go straight to the needle and seat.

With decreased vacuum it's just not pumping as much fuel to the carb and keeping it from flooding out so quick.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto:If the float gets damaged it'll sink and keep fuel coming. Also, like Five Points said, even a tiny piece of debris could mess the vacuum up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I take the carb off and blow out all ports again. When I took the top off the carb last week "the section that has the float in it" I blew out the entire area with my air hose and cleaned it with carb cleaner before putting it back together. Float is solid or had no fuel in it and the way mine is, it cant be bent and adjusted like some can. I am wondering if there is a air leak somewhere? I re torqued all carb and manifold bolts when I checked the carb. It seems that I read in a forum some time back a guy had the same problem but I cant find out where that was or what he did to correct it. Any suggestions, I will sure try them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If you have the time to remove the carb you might as well rebuild it. The float may appear fine but you could have debris in the needle and seat. Also reusing gaskets will more than likely leave you with a vacuum leak and you'll be right back where you started.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is a quick fix,
With the engine running, rev the engine up and seal your hand over the choke plate end of the carburetor quickly and let off shortly after so the engine does not stall. Repeat 3 or 4 times. The restriction of your hand will cause the engine to pull through any loose debris in the float seat. If the engine runs perfectly normal afterwards, there is no need to dismantle the carburetor. If the engine continues to run poorly, it is time to take the carburetor apart and clean down any and all surfaces, galleries and inspect seals and orifices for debris and foreign objects

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I will give these suggestions a try. Remember its a brand new factory oem carburetor. I guess they make mistakes at the factory. It does seem to me to be a float problem but when I took it apart it was pristine inside. I put a small tube in the hole that fuel comes out of and lifted the float up an down and it shut it off when the needle went into the seat. I like the K-TRON idea. I guess if there were any other leaks that might show up doing that test I would be able to find them. Thanks, I will be back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More suggestions needed if they are out there

I put my hand over the throat while running and let it suck hard three or four times. I thought that may have helped if it was a trash problem but I still have a problem.
While mowing I have to move the choke in and out to keep it balanced out and running. It seems that when I get in any kind of bind like up hill or tall grass, it tries to run bad until I work the choke to keep it running. I rebuilt the brand new out of the box OEM carb again "2nd time" and no change in performance. No trash in float needle area. Could I have done something or missed something when I rebuilt the engine that might would cause this problem ? It seems to be a fuel problem. My compression is high and the same on both cylinders. Can yall think of anything else before I have to take it to a shop? Would head gaskets or valves out of whack make it run like that? It is completely rebuilt with the only short coming I can think of is the valve guides are a tiny bit loose. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks H3:dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hw3
Can you check your model and type numbers again. I wasn't able to find them. It could be an error on my part. Anyways, I would definitely say you have a carb related problem and not a head gasket or valve. Double check all your gaskets, make sure you installed them correctly and used new gaskets. If you have them backwards and its covering a port on the carb your going to have issues. I would also check your gas tank for debris. I had a leaf one time in the tank that caused me all kinds of problems til I found it. It was covering the the hole to the gas line preventing fuel from entering into the gas line. And like everyone else has said, recheck the carb. Take it apart run a fine wire through all the ports/jets and blow it all out, again.... Also check your throttle linkage, make sure you have it set correctly and its not actually choking it out when it says its in run. And if there are any high and low adjustments, recheck them. If it does have them, start with 1 1/2 turns out and fine tune thereafter. If none of this works I'm betting the float adjustment is out. Check the wire on the needle valve attached to the float, make sure its not bent out or in. Your probably going to have get the spec charts out and measure the float to make sure its right and not out of adjustment... Good luck and keep us updated...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stand corrected, the mod# is 461700 all else is right numbers. So far, removed and cleaned fuel tank, replaced all rubber hoses fuel filter from front to back. Bought brand new carb, rebuilt it twice and it does the same that the old carb does. complete rebuild on engine front to back. Nothing helps. seems to be fuel related but where else can I check. My carb has no float adj. or fuel adj. all factory set. I am going to try another governor bracket and control lever next. I could have bought a new engine by now but I enjoy the work. Any other suggestions send them please. Thanks HIII

1 - 10 of 10 Posts