My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman rear engine riding mower which has served me well. Yesterday I did not see and hit a hose clamp as I mowed, it was discharged from under the mower. The motor stopped and now when I attempt to start there is nothing. Turn the key and nothing happens. Blade moves freely. This mower has always been quick to start but I am wondering if there is some safety cut off or fuse that when the metal clamp got caught that it somehow tripped the safety. Well, that's my hope. Any ideas on how to get my mower running again?
Thanks.

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
Might want to check your seat safety switch didn't fall out when you jumped at the sound of the blades trying to grind up the clamp. ;) Wonder if the clamp bounced around above the deck in the process. Along with the seat safety most common they along with the seat switch have a clutch/brake saftey, and PTO (tied to the blade ingagement lever) and mow in reverse cutout that is around reverse pedal or lever. First would be to make sure those switches are all still plugged in and don't look damaged.

· Registered
247 Posts
Was it a regular worm gear hose clamp like is used on a radiator hose? Then, you just joined the "never seen that before" club!
With out the model number of the rider, we can only give generic troubleshooting advice. There may be a fuse somewhere that could have blown.You can try jumping the big terminals on the solenoid to verify the starter works. Always be cautious when testing when you may bypass safety switches. You may experience a sudden movement that could hurt you.
It may be coincidental that the problem happened when you hit something - or maybe not.

· Registered
135 Posts
If you haven't solved it yet, I would think the clamp cut a wire. Could have broken a safety switch, but not as likely. I would drop the deck down, or remove it, and look at the underside carefully. Follow any wires that are seen looking for broken or damaged ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts