My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks - toss your thoughts/opinions/experience this way.

I'm down to a decision b/w 2 zero turns, only $100 apart.

I want a mower that will last me a long time.

Lawn size: Small
Obstacles: shed, 2 trees, swingset
Hills/slopes: only drainage ditch

Option A: Cub Cadet RZT L 46 - $2800
Engine: 23 HP professional Kohler 7000 V-Twin OHV
Deck: Fabricated

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c...s/rzt-l-45-with-fabricated-deck-rzt46fab-2015

Option B: Husqvarna Z246 - $2700
Engine: 23 HP Endurance V-Twin
Deck: Reinforced, Stamped Deck

Husqvarna Zero Turn Mowers Z246

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
The fabricated deck is a big plus on the Cub. The engine is better in my opinion of course in the Husqvarna. I am unsure of the Kohler in Cub, but it might be based on the very good Command line of twins so that last sentence may be wrong of me!
Is it possible for you to try them both at dealer to see how YOU like them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fabricated deck is a big plus on the Cub. The engine is better in my opinion of course in the Husqvarna. I am unsure of the Kohler in Cub, but it might be based on the very good Command line of twins so that last sentence may be wrong of me!
Is it possible for you to try them both at dealer to see how YOU like them?
Going to try to test drive them on Monday.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
:ditto: I'm partial to the Cub first of all.... I'm sure you know that by now. I like the fact that it incorporates the FAB deck. That is a BIG plus. Whether you're going to be abusive or not. They tend to outlast everything on the mower... With care that is.

I like the Kohler but again this is a new series in the Kohler line. The Briggs has been around a while longer and it's tested.

They both have the same cut width so no trade off there.

The way I see it your paying $100 more for an extra HP and FAB deck. That's a great deal in my book. They're so close it's a tough call.

Like Eric said you may have trouble narrowing it down until you sit on both and get a feel. Sometimes when all else fails that can help you make your final decision. Monday can't get here quick enough! :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: The fabbed deck is definitely worth it! The Kohler 7000 is based off of the old Courage model; I'd personally lean towards the Briggs.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
So, you think that the Husky would be the better buy even if it doesn't have the fabbed deck?
The Husq is going to serve you and your needs well! There's no doubt about that.

If we take the deck out of the equation. The Husq is probably what I would go with. They have a good reputation for overall reliablity and I've seen more of those in use my neck of the woods than the Cub ZT's. IMO it comes from a company that has great products and dealers that stand behind it.

You might like how it operates, feels, and looks. You'll get a chance for a test drive tomorrow. Look forward to hearing your feedback and what you come out with :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Husq is going to serve you and your needs well! There's no doubt about that.

If we take the deck out of the equation. The Husq is probably what I would go with. They have a good reputation for overall reliablity and I've seen more of those in use my neck of the woods than the Cub ZT's. IMO it comes from a company that has great products and dealers that stand behind it.

You might like how it operates, feels, and looks. You'll get a chance for a test drive tomorrow. Look forward to hearing your feedback and what you come out with :ThumbUp:
I may have asked this before, but any thoughts/familiarity with the JD Z235? It's $400 less than the Husky (and only major difference is a smaller deck).

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
So, you think that the Husky would be the better buy even if it doesn't have the fabbed deck?
Sorry! I reckon I was confused; I though the Husky was the mower with a fabricated deck. The Cub looks like an overall better mower; I'm just a little leery of the engine because it's based off of the previous Courage model, and they had a habit of throwing conrods. Maybe they have rectified the older engine's issues with the new model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry! I reckon I was confused; I though the Husky was the mower with a fabricated deck. The Cub looks like an overall better mower; I'm just a little leery of the engine because it's based off of the previous Courage model, and they had a habit of throwing conrods. Maybe they have rectified the older engine's issues with the new model.
The Husky has the stamped/reinforced deck with the B & S Endurance engine.

The Cub has the fab deck with the Kohler 7000 Twin-OHV.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'm straightened out now. :2th:

At this point, you might want to try out the mowers if possible. If the deck on the Husky looks stout enough, I'd be tempted to go for it because of the more proven engine. It also weighs about a hundred pounds more, so it seems to be built fairly heavily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm straightened out now. :2th:

At this point, you might want to try out the mowers if possible. If the deck on the Husky looks stout enough, I'd be tempted to go for it because of the more proven engine. It also weighs about a hundred pounds more, so it seems to be built fairly heavily.
Oh, good point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's another model you might consider. It is more expensive, but it has a fabricated deck and a commercial Vanguard engine, which is about as good as they come. You usually don't see one of these motors on a residential ZTR.

Husqvarna Zero Turn Mowers Z248F
A 48 inch deck is way too big for me (to be honest, a 46 deck is probably bigger than I need, but it's the entry level ZTR with Husky).

This one (Z242F) seems like a really good machine, but it's a bit out of my range.

Husqvarna Zero Turn Mowers Z242F

1 - 14 of 14 Posts