My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darn it all. Just when I get some space cleared up in the garage, I find something new on CL that just plain calls my name, and the next thing you know....

I go and fill that space right back up:dunno: But this is a new venture for me!

This little RER popped up on CL the other day and the price seemed to be pretty decent so I paused to read what the seller had to say. Something about it running great but it needed an oil valve. Oil valve? What in the world might that be? I fought the urge, I really did, but curiosity got the better of me and the phone was way too readily at hand, so I called. (I've done this long enough to realize that it was as good as bought the minute I started to dial.)

The lady said that the problem was with the thing where you pour the oil in, there were holes in it. What? Holes in the oil fill neck? I had to see this, and sure enough, there were two holes that looked like a squirrel had chewed in the filler neck. The seller said that it starts right up and runs fine, but shoots oil out those two holes so she didn't want to start it up for me.

Weird. Anyway, I went home and thought about it. Everything else about it looked to be in good shape. I called Snapper's customer service line with the model and serial number and they told me it was a 2001 model and emailed me a pdf of the owner's manual and parts list.

Today I called the owner up again, offered something that I thought for sure she'd turn down, but she accepted my offer.

When I got it home, I turned the key, and son of a gun it started right up, sounded good, and just like she said, shot oil out those two holes. I shut it off, pushed it into that open spot in the garage, and will look forward to taking a closer look at it in a few days.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nice find!! You want a parts machine?? ;)

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
A little clean up and touch up and she'll be ready to go this spring. :2th:

Oh, and about those squirrels....... I've been trapping mine and taking them a couple miles down the road and releasing them in the pine groves. They got the shifter lever on the JD, guess they thought it was an orange...
:scratch:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! That is going to be a fun project and will look and run great when you're finished fixing it up! :ThumbUp:

That's definitely a first for me too, and one for the books regarding the holes in the oil fill tube.

Keep us posted with pics! :cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
They go after my bird feeders. So far my baffle has stopped them, and I leave seed on ground for ground feeder birds. Guess we have a truce right now!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Is the wiring and belts and other soft materials in good shape? Also did you end up with any water in the oil from the holes?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't found any signs of anything else being chewed on yet. I'll drain the oil when I get the chance next week to see what might be in there. The whole mower was as dry as it looks in the photo, so I'm pretty confident the oil is OK.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You'd think they take a nibble a realize its not food but nooooo lets eat half of it to make sure it's not real,,,:soap:

:sorry::bag:
Yeah, I was going to say that it seems like as soon as they broke through it the smell of the oil would deter them away.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Good find! :2th: I don't think the holes in the oil filler are a big deal. Squirrels are persistent buggers! I've had them eat all the way through a trash can to get at some birdseed! :dunno::sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to get a metal trash can to store my sunflower seeds in because the varmints had gnawed their way into the plastic one I had.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I have a metal can myself. Only thing defeated it so far is my 400# rodent!!:sidelaugh:bag: :dunno: :sorry:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Nice find Bruce! I am starting to take a liking to those little snappers..

Yeah, Squirrels are strange buggers.. I saw one incident (MTF Thread I think) Where they chewed through the bottom of a gas tank causing all the gas to come pouring out...

I have seen all sorts of squirrel and mouse damage..

Like Five points was saying.. I see them thinking it might taste good.. But when they bite into it and find out it doesn't.. Why keep chewing?

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Mebbe they're just really stupid. :scratch: Funny thing is, when it comes to stealing birdseed, they have genius level abilities!:dunno::ROFL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
motor, you ain't kidding there!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:eek:t: Looks like a rescue is needed here :ROFL

So how's the hunt for a new oil fill tube coming along?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry Bruce!! We good at veering off course!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Man, I own a few and have seen many Snapper RER's but that's the smallest deck - 25" that I've seen to date. It looks to be in great shape btw.

:cool

1 - 20 of 97 Posts