My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a craftsman riding mower and recently one of the blades has somehow worked itself loose or something, The bolt that holds it on is still tight but the blade spins freely. The problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the bolt to get the blade off. I can't break it loose, The model number is 917.272461 if that helps at all. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you have access to an impact wrench and or an acetylene torch?
You will need to heat up the area immediately around the bolt, and not the bolt itself, once red hot, you should be able to remove the bolt without much effort with a properly tooled up impact wrench. If the head of the bolt is too far gone, sometimes you need to heat up a metric socket and hammer it onto the imperial bolt head in order to get good contact. Blade retention bolts are usually grade 8 or tempered, so I would not recommend grinding the head of the bolt off. Otherwise you will have a very hard to drill steel in a rotating spindle.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Try putting a strap wrench on the pulley on the opposite side of the spindle on the top side of the deck or even a socket and breaker bar on the pulley nut. Soak the blade nut/bolt with some PB blaster or like product for a bit and maybe you can get the leverage you need to remove the bolt/nut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is actually the first thing I tried. I had one wrench on the nut on the top that holds the pulley on and I had another on the bolt on the bottom and pulled like crazy and somehow I broke the nut loose on top of the pulley but the bolt is still tight. I sprayed some PB blaster on it and it's been soaking since yesterday, So I'll give it another try today I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If the strap wrench on the pulley doesn't work, you could try an impact wrench as it tends to quickly "shock" or jerk the bolt loose but you do take a chance of breaking it though. As far as why the blade is spinning, I was thinking it may have the wrong type of blade with a round hole and not a star hole pattern.
Another last resort option is removing the pulley from the top and using vise grips or a clamping device to hold the shaft to give you leverage on removing the bolt. Just make sure you do not crush the threads or if you score the shaft where the pulley goes you may need to file any ridges down... (last resort)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We finally got the blade off, Took the deck off and got at it at a different angle, Plus the help of a few more tools that a friend of mine had. I guess to conclude how to get it off you just need the right angle and leverage. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for the update. Nothing like having the right tools for the job.... or friends with the right tools.. :p

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the blade retention bolt has any rounded edges or is damaged in any way, it would be a good idea to replace it with a NEW grade 8 bolt. Before installing, coat the threads of the new bolt with some 30 weight oil or Permatex Anti-Seize, and tighten it up. It should not freeze up on you again!

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts