My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so much for mower hunting today. Misread a note and mistook an appointment for 2:10 instead of 2:40. While sitting in the garage just 10 minutes earlier I was just going over my old truck. The lady at the desk says I'm forty minutes early. I laugh, and say I'll come back later.. so I left. On the way out the truck hiccups a little.. but it always does that when it's hot. Still, it bugged me. Coming down route 1, it did it again.. 'Hmm, maybe I should stop', I think. Come to a light, coasted down to 10.. and it dies. The heck? Get it going right away, and continue.. maybe I should stop at the church.. nah, it'll be fine! Come to the light at the heart of town, the busiest road in Kennebunk.. dies. And it's dead this time. Got it to kick a few times, but it turns real tight. Seems timing related, once it goes to fire it stops.. hard to describe. Easier seen then said. Well, then she started smoking up from under the hood.. then the dash. Sat there all of 20 minutes with the lights flashing, waiting on a ramp truck.. battery finally gave out. While I stood alongside waiting, a cop pulled up.. 'Oh dear." I think. He's laughing his shirt off, says I backed up traffic into the town line! Ramp truck finally arrived, still no word on what happened.. hope it's not too serious. Ran just fine on the way to the doc's. Conveniently, I had my Raleigh 3 speed in the bad, so when the truck left I biked back the 1/4 mile to the doc. Right on time.. almost. I don't dare work on something of this era, I don't trust myself with the electronics.. wish it was an old 350 or older 302.. As the light cycled, every now and then an old timer would pull up and nod, saying he stalled on the other side of the light back years ago.. etc. Even more? Makes you know you've got GREAT highschool friends.. when they drive by and laugh at you sitting there. Oh, well.. 200k on a badly maintained 302 isn't bad I guess. I hope it didn't cook its self.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice clean truck!
Sorry to hear about that. It's a heart sinking feeling for sure to have your vehicle quit in traffic. I could feel what the scenio was like by reading your words and I would have had the same thoughts too watching the police show up.

It'll be interesting to find out what the verdict is. I bring this up as an uncle of mine had a Ford of that era with a similar sounding issue; his I think was a '90. It had a 460 and when it would warm up, it would often die and sometimes be restarted. Other times it would either not restart or die completely on its own and not fire again and until it had cooled down. It turned out to be a bad distributor and as it warmed up, it would slowly go out of time.

It does sound electrical if there was smoke coming up from under the dash. In any case, keep that truck on the road! :2th:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
One rainy day years ago driving the old 78 Jeep Wagoneer I started to have smoke coming out of the dash. Scared the crap out of me! At that time it was still my fathers daily driver. :eek: I turned off everything electrical, wipers, defrost fan that was on high and headlights and the smoke stopped. Turned out it had the old fashioned amp meter in the dash and the nut holding one of the wires had loosened up. So with all the current draw from the blower, lights and wipers it was melting the insulation off the wire at the terminal.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Interstate 74 crosses the Mississippi river between the cities of Moline, IL and Bettendorf, IA. It was an old two lane toll bridge, with no shoulders, that had been pressed into service as the Interstate bridge back at a time before everyone had became frantic about getting to their destinations.

Because gasoline is 30 cents a gallon cheaper on the Iowa side of the river, many people go there to get their gas. Often times, some would get half way across that bridge and run out, as a result, blocking one lane. It would cause back ups on the interstate for as far as you could see, and on all of the approach ramps, which led to back ups on the streets leading to the ramps, naturally slowing the arrival of tow trucks to remove the stalled car. It could be a mess.

Our agency found a few ways to deal with it but the most expedient way to get through to the stranded motorist to make sure it was a car problem and not a medical one, was to get through traffic on one of the department's motorcycles.

Weaving through lines of stopped cars with the lights flashing and hitting the siren every now and then on a Road King was kind of fun actually.

Anyway, the point is, as that older gentleman pointed out, it can be kind of a worry, and a bit embarrassing, but lots of folks have been there and done that. Just think of how it feels to by as your squad car was pulled onto a tow truck! Lots of snickers and fingers pointed for sure than. Been there done that myself. Hope you find the problem with your truck and get it sorted out. It does look like a beauty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts