My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a Craftsman LT 12 (I think) With a 12 Horse OHV Tecumseh engine in it..

This is not the actual picture, As the seller removed the add before I could snag the picture off of it..

It looks identical down to the condition but without the "Craftsman II" Thing... I guess it's just a "Craftsman I" :dunno:

It runs fine, The transmission works, The blades cut.. and one of the tires slowly leaks air..

Bought it for $75

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, Maybe clean up/Do basic maintenance and sell or use at friends farm/around the yard..

-Stan

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Daang, that thing looks like brand new, Kori!! Congrats!

I remember when I first got mine, it's one very special feeling! :cool:

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daang, that thing looks like brand new, Kori!! Congrats!

I remember when I first got mine, it's one very special feeling! :cool:
That's not the one I'm Getting (I did say that I'm pretty sure?)
However, The one I'm getting is just like that except it has some surface rust on the mower deck and slightly different stickers on the sides of the hood.

-Stan

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got it..
Quickly filled the tyres with air and drove it onto the trailer..

It's kind of rough, but I plan to use it (Including getting attachments) So Apart from some maintenance, New seat and maybe some belts.. it's staying how it is..
However, I may repaint it completely sometime if the mood hits me.. But I despise painting so That's Unlikely at best.

And Finally, Here are some pictures.

Roofing cement to fix leaky tyres!

6 Speed Manual.

My Minuscule battery I hope to start it with...

That's all the photos I took tonight, More tomorrow methinks

-Stan

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
You'll soon be the Craftsman authority ;)
Thanks for the pics. You may want to at least remove the deck, clean and paint it just as good preventive maintenance. It also gives you the perfect opportunity to inspect all belts and pulleys too, just FYI from an obsessed tractor owner. :2th:

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Took it out for a run and mow today and found out a few things.

It's going to need new front wheels.. These are so dry rotted they have cracked again and are leaking again..

The deck now works better after freeing up the belt Tensioner.

It burns oil... quite a bit from the looks of things.. Right now it's like a fairly thick haze..

-Stan

· Registered
59 Posts
You did good, Capstan, really good...far better than I with the "Massey Ferguson" 85 for nearly $200....A year later, all I had was a better name ....and one dollar.....
Why paint....just wax the **** out of her...it will be more honest...

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You did good, Capstan, really good...far better than I with the "Massey Ferguson" 85 for nearly $200....A year later, all I had was a better name ....and one dollar.....
Why paint....just wax the **** out of her...it will be more honest...
Thanks Earthworm,
I'll Most likely just wax the hood and fenders, But I really need to paint the deck.. I really don't want that to rust out on me.

Oh, And by the by... Video!

-Stan :)

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Welcome to the dark side Stan!! BWAAA!!! :)
The first tractor........ of MANY!! LOL
Seriously, nice little tractor! You did good! Enjoy it and sell it if you wish! Use it to learn some more if you wish! The Engine is a easy swap for you, Tecumseh engines would be hard to find parts I would think?! Not sure!
BTW, love ya video!! ;)

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the dark side Stan!! BWAAA!!! :)
The first tractor........ of MANY!! LOL
Seriously, nice little tractor! You did good! Enjoy it and sell it if you wish! Use it to learn some more if you wish! The Engine is a easy swap for you, Tecumseh engines would be hard to find parts I would think?! Not sure!
Hey Thanks Mate!
I really was rambling in that video... That's what 4 hours sleep will do to you.

I hope to find a nice 11-15 Horse Briggs flathead I/C (Preferably) to chuck on it..
However, The Tecumseh seems to start easy and runs quite well despite it's smoking habit.. Which seems to have lessened.

-Stan

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Very nice Stan, that's great to have a metal bodied machine.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts