My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New gravely ZT 50. I mulch so I ordered the mulching "kit". I was under the impression it came with blades but all that did come with it was the baffle plate.
So, no biggie. I will just pick up some mulching blades.
I have sat here for a good 40 minutes looking for what blades I need and I just can't find it.
If I google "gravely ZT 50 mulching blades" I get a bunch of discussions about gator blades and hi-lift blades, but no part #.
I look it up in the gravely parts list and it shows a mulching blade for the zt 34, but not the zt 48 or zt 50.
Looked it up on oregons site "gator blades" and inputting my blade number, I get no results.
I guess I am less intelligent than I thought I was. It kills me as that means my wife is right ........:)
Could someone please tell me a part # to some mulching blades for the Gravely ZT 50. It would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about that. It is the zt 50, 915150, serial number is 013xxx (too lazy to go out and get the rest of the numbers).
Even when I go to Gravely parts, it only has a mulching blade fior the zt 34, nothing listed anywhere I can find for the zt 50.
thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the info......but.....I have seen that but not sure that is a mulching blade ? On the mowers that I do see a mulching blade for, they all say "mulch". The blades I have on it are the 2nd one listed, 03971900, which are 17.35 in where the 1st one is ionly 14.83, a good 3 1/2" shorter ?
Plus , as mentioned, unlike every other one I have seen, it does not list it as a mulching blade ?
See, I warned u I am not that bright

·
Administrator
6,291 Posts
The 14" blade is for the 42" deck. It is confusing the way they show it there.

Looks like around 2010 they changed the design of the decks (and the mulch kits). I saw one mulch kit for ZT50 prior to 2010 and they showed mulch blades for it. Looked like the only difference from your blade was it was sharpened up the angled points further towards the mounting hole maybe an inch or so. Might be what they are using now is sort of a combination blade that is supposed to work for either usage.

If all else fails you could directly contact Gravely customer support and see what they say about it.

Support

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Here is a description I found about your kit,

Description
Use the Ariens Zoom 50 in. Grass Mulching Kit for Zero-Turn Riding Mowers to install a baffle plate underneath your mower's deck and create a separate cutting chamber for each blade. The easy-to-use kit helps return small grass clippings to lawns as nutrients. Baffle plate fits under your mower's deck to create cutting chambers for each blade. Creates air flow and pushes clippings back into the lawn. Helps blades lift grass and cut it numerous times for small, tidy clippings that feed the lawn and keep it looking sharp. Compatible with Ariens 50 in. Zoom zero-turn riding mowers. Remove 2 baffles from the deck and replace with the kit's single large baffle plate for easy installation
Sounds like it was designed to be used with the regular blades and the design of the kit is what recirculates your clippings back into the blades to be re-cut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, that's the baffle. I am not sure how it creates separate chambers as once it is bolted on it is basically just a flat surface.
Also , when installing it they have u remove the rear baffle, not really sure why.

anyway, thanks everyone for the info. Once I start cutting grass I may try it putting the rear baffle back on and comparing the 2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did forget to mention that while just looking at it, I really do not see how it will be more effective than just slapping a mulching plate over the chute, it is a very solid piece of metal.
Only thing I wonder about is it has rubber seals on it to seal some edges where it meets the deck. Kind of curious how well rubber is going to hold up under there as I have been known to run over small sticks and an occasional golf ball etc I did not see.
One thing when using this plate - it isn't something you really want to slap on and off. On my old mower, I usually mulched but there were times when I did not want to for some reason and it took a whole 10 seconds to take on or off.
With this, I will be pretty much always in mulch mode as I don't see me wanting to remove it unless I plan on keeping it off for a bit.
One installation tip or bad idea -
When installing, one bolt goes thru the spindle cover on the left side of the mower. The bolt they have you use has a nut on it of course. The instructions say to put the nut on the bottom of the deck. In order to do that, as the nut will turn when tightening, you obviously need a wrench on that nut. Not a huge deal, but I was thinking if (when) I needed to replace the belt, it could turn into a hassle.
With the nut being on the bottom, if it corrodes it could turn into a bit of a hassle to get it off as the threads would be exposed etc. I'd say a decent chance at some point down the road you would probably end up having to break it off.
So....may be a bad idea, plus it will make removing the plate that much more difficult, but I put the bolt thru the bottom with the nut on top. Then to keep the nut from turning when tightening or loosening, I put a few dabs of the kwik jb weld on the head of the bolt. I used the kwik as I am thinking it as not as strong as the regular and I hopefully used just enough dabs that would keep it from turning but still be pretty easy to knock off if I want to remove the baffle.
I may regret it if I do want to remove the baffle, but at the moment it worked great and will be much easier to remove the plastic cover.
Of course I may be in their with a grinder at some point..........seems about right with my ideas :)

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Other methods to consider would be using a nylon locking nut, or a split washer to lock the nut. You could also use "Loctite" "blue" would probably work well enough for that application.
Just my :2cents: ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.